Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dell inspiron 6000 laptop  (Read 3617 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

dell inspiron 6000 laptop
    « on: October 11, 2009, 10:31:46 PM »
    I need to download the drivers for this computer.  I went to the dell site to get the drivers for the computer, but Im not sure what to download for network controller.  I also need to download the driver for a wireless connection, but here also Im not sure which one to download, theres so many of them to choose. 

I had downloaded and installed the Intel driver for the PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, which is what I think the computer had before I deleted the driver, but this time around I cant get it to work.

So which drivers do I need

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: dell inspiron 6000 laptop
    « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 12:59:49 AM »
    Did you reinstall the operating system or simply delete the drivers? If you just deleted them, try doing a system restore.

If you just did a clean install then can you give us your service tag number?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Vikram Varaprasad

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 01:15:34 AM »
      Won't they provide you the Drivers CD ? If so better to go through it.

Otherwise you need to provide more information about your device. Here is your Dell link most suitable to your post. Try it.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&catid=5&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_6000&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False
      Vikram...

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:08:47 AM »
        jj:  No I didnt do a clean reinstall.  The computer was running real slow, and so I did the mbam thing which identified a lot of viruses, a few trojans and this thing called green av.  I deleted all  those things but I guess one of those deletes got rid of the wireless network adapter.

Usually when I do a clean install, I go to the manufacturer website on a different computer, download the wireless network driver and or the ethernet driver, transfer it to the computer that had the reinstall, and once I connect that to the internet, go to devicce manager and automatically search the web for the driver for the other devices that have yellow exclamations. 

But in this case the ethernet driver worked, not the wireless one (I disabled the ethernet and enabled the wireless, which could read that there was the network but it didnt connect).  I uninstalled the wireless adapter, and then connected through the ethernet cable and tried to do the usual 'search the web automatically' but there was no entry for wireless adapter in device manage so I couldnt do that.  Whats more I couldnt find a driver for the network controller that way either.

Theres just so many drivers i dont know which one to choose.  I was contemplating doing a system restore but I thought I might get some hints from this board, so here I am

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:10:43 AM »
        What wireless device are you using ? ?
        If it didn't come from Dell it won't be listed at their site...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 01:34:37 PM »
        ..So which drivers do I need
        Go to www.support.dell.com and enter your Service Tag Number located on the bottom of the laptop.

midsail

Hopeful
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 01:40:09 PM »
          For wireless, Dell use only the following antennas Broadband or Intel.  Follow Computer_Commando post and the driver u need will be under Network.  If u do not know which one u have, try installing one at a time.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 02:06:44 PM »
          Ummmmmm...
          The wireless device may have been added later which is why i asked.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 02:43:43 PM »
            its a built in wireless device and I havent opened up the computer to find out the manufacturer.  But what puzzles me is that why cant I download a wireless driver straight from t he dell.com site for my model and make and have it work, which is what I normally do.

Also, what driver do I install from there for the network controller device?

I did put in my service tag number to find the drivers.  Didnt know what driver to download.  Then got to the driver page using the make and model, and still didnt know what driver to download as it was the same page

Why is it that some devices in device manager can automatically find the driver through the add new hardware wizard and some cannot

What do  I do though

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 04:34:37 PM »
            When you enter the Service Tag, you can also view the shipped configuration which will list the exact model of the wireless card.

midsail

Hopeful
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 06:27:44 AM »
              Hello
              Go the support.dell.com
              Start a chat session (Dell will not charge for this). They will give u the link/driver for your Laptop(LT). The other option is look underneath the bottom of LT. Search the labels, look for one that states Intel or Broadcom or Broadband. This is the built in antenna model in the LT. If u find both models, it just simply means u have two antennas install (its common). This will give the model and make of the wireless antennas. Then it is a matter of downloading and installing the drivers.