Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer runs incredibly slow?  (Read 4014 times)

krakerjax

Topic Starter

Computer runs incredibly slow?
    « on: October 22, 2009, 10:31:32 AM »
    About a year or 2 ago, my brother bought a rather expensive computer off of Newegg. In the interest of a shorter post, it will suffice to say the computer works. Sort-of. It was built to run CAM and CAD programs like Solidworks, Peps and recently, Visi. Which it does, only in the worst possible manner.

When running something like Solidworks, it either runs like clockwork, or a brick oven. If you get the former, everything works marvelously. Everything responds, everything works. When you get the latter, everything works, but at turtle speeds. The computer takes ages to do something as simple as rotating the view. Trying to draw something is painstaking. The computer locks up, freezes and crashes until eventually you get fed up to the point of restarting the computer and trying again, hoping it won't slow down again.
    It's not only with the software that it runs like that either. Using IE, Chrome or Firefox, it's clear something isn't running right. Trying to scroll down the page too fast sends the computer into a lag that can last up to 10 minutes, only to have it play catch-up and then lock-up.

Recently it's decided to get worse. Using it to view any kind of "system heavy" task, it immediately begins to seize, and will not allow for any kind of process managing. Everything runs slow, and none of it can be ended. It also keeps all 4 processors running at a solid 50%.

It' a powerful computer, so I don't get why its having these problems. I've looked through the computer for any processes running that might be causing the slowdown, with a little bit of luck. Removing the windowssearch process helped a little bit, but it runs worse than my 10 year old tower. Also, it's yet to show any kind of error message except for ".... has unexpectedly crashed"

From what I can gather about the computer it has the following;
    Intel Core2 Quad CPu Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
    3.5gb of ram
    Seagate 300gb hard drive
    Nvidia Quadro FX 1400
    I'll keep updating this list as I find out more

In the interest of helping as much as possible, I have a highjack this file as well.

-----------------------------------------
    Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 10:40:05 AM, on 10/20/2009
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\STacSV.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
    C:\Visi17\Bin\visi.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SolidWorks_CheckForUpdates] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Installation Manager\Scheduler\sldIMScheduler.exe" /scheduler
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] sttray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - Global Startup: Windows Desktop Search.lnk = C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O23 - Service: SW Distributed TS Coordinator Service (CoordinatorServiceHost) - Dassault Systčmes SolidWorks Corp. - C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks\swScheduler\DTSCoordinatorService.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: SolidWorks Licensing Service - SolidWorks - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Shared\Service\SolidWorksLicensing.exe
    O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - SigmaTel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\STacSV.exe

--
    End of file - 2326 bytes
    ------------------------------------------

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer runs incredibly slow?
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:16:59 PM »
    No AV program?

krakerjax

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 08:31:25 AM »
      Its an offline computer, we only use it to draw the parts. Anything done on the internet is done on our personal computers instead

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 10:28:09 AM »
      Download BlueScreenView
      No installation required.
      Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
      When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
      Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
      Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop: http://images.malwareremoval.com/vino/VEW.exe

Double-click VEW.exe then under Select log to query, select:
      Application
      System

Under Select type to list, select:
      Critical (Vista only)
      Error

Click the radio button for Number of events
      Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
      Then click the Run button.
      Notepad will open with the output log.

In Notepad, click Edit > Select all then Edit > Copy
      Reply to this post, click in the reply window and press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log.