Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SEAGATE vs. MAXTOR in a battle for... MY MIND!  (Read 2342 times)

Matt Shepherd

SEAGATE vs. MAXTOR in a battle for... MY MIND!
« on: June 16, 2005, 09:03:45 PM »
So for the longest time, I've had this weird-*censored* thing going on with my hard drives.

The first drive that came with my computer was a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7. It's been great.

About six months ago, I picked up another hard drive, a Maxtor Diamondmax 16.

The two drives hate each other.

Seriously. If the Barracuda is on Master and the Maxtor on Slave, I get an N**** (should have written it down...) not found error immediately upon turning the computer on. I don't even get as far as the BIOS prompts.

If I put them both on Cable Select, the same thing happens. I finally wound up slaving the Maxtor off my DVD-RW, and that sort of worked. Well, it flat-out worked. I kept an old 20GB hard drive and slaved it off the Seagate. That worked too.

But now with a computer running off a rowing machine downstairs, I wanted that old 20G drive (Western Digital, just to make sure I'm hitting all the bases) down there to stick MP3s on. So it's no longer slaved off the original Seagate drive.

And I wanted to use that free IDE spot to run a DVD-ROM I have but am not using.

Unfortunately, the IDE cable that goes to my DVD-RW is the only one that could also reach the DVD-ROM, but it is needed to slave the Maxtor.

Or rather it was. Now that there's no slave on the Seagate, the Maxtor can't be used ANYWHERE on either IDE cable or the system won't get past the first stages of startup.

The computer is working right now because I've unplugged the Maxtor drive entirely. To make things slightly more annoying, since the Maxtor's Slave jumper setting is no jumper, I've managed to lose the freakin' jumper pin at some point along the way.

I can't figure out why the Maxtor and Seagate won't get along. Does anybody in the forum have any ideas on how to resolve this?  ???

merlin_2

Re: SEAGATE vs. MAXTOR in a battle for... MY MIND!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 01:23:46 AM »
double ide cable... check the bios settings??.....and maxtor in my option has not got a good track record

Raptor

Re: SEAGATE vs. MAXTOR in a battle for... MY MIND!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 06:16:07 AM »
I use a 80GB Maxtor 7200RPM 8MB cache as Master and a 30GB 5200RPM Seagate. I do not experience any type of difficulties with either Hard Disk Drives.

Have you tried to manually configure the Hard Disk Drives in the BIOS?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 06:16:42 AM by Raptor »