Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to get a memory card that was put into wrong place????  (Read 2966 times)

pcampo

how to get a memory card that was put into wrong place????
« on: October 28, 2009, 01:29:47 PM »
My daughter accidentally put the memory card from my camera into the CF/microdrive slot in my computer. It fell in b/c the slot is much bigger than the one for the memory card. I tried tilting to see if it would fall back out but no luck. Is there a way to get it out without  harming the computer and how hard will it be to do this? also, if not taken out can it hurt if it stays in there? I have been trying to get a answer to this problem since 10pm last night and I can't seem to get any solutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.   ???

thanks!!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: how to get a memory card that was put into wrong place????
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 04:03:28 PM »
I'm looking at my old card reader.  It probably went up and over the CF slot and dropped down behind the slot and is trapped inside the case.  If you want to retrieve the memory card, you'll have to pull the drive out and open it up.  The reader/drive is mostly empty space.  If you don't care about retrieving the card, tip the computer backwards, so the card falls into the space and does not contact the circuit board inside.

mypersonaltechadvisor

Rookie
    Re: how to get a memory card that was put into wrong place????
    « Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:18:30 AM »
    I can empathize, pcampo. Once, when I was putting my xD card into my computer's memory card reader, I put it in the wrong slot (wasn't paying attention) and it fell right through to the other side. I heard it rattling around. Fortunately, I built the PC myself, so I knew what it would take to get to the card. Also, I had enough motivation to do it because the card had several pics of the family. Unfortunately, as may be the case with you, my media card reader is a sealed box. I had to take the computer case off, take out some drives, and undo several cables just to get to the card reader. Then I had to take the reader out of the computer and bend a metal cover, which was riveted in, so that I could shake the card loose. In all, it was maybe 30 minutes of work, including putting everything back together and hooking the PC up again. It was a bit of a pain, but nothing broke and I'm glad I got it out of there. If it had been an empty card, or pics I didn't care about, I might not have even bothered.

Good luck!
    Jesse
    Want a little extra help? Come on over to www.mypersonaltechadvisor.com.