Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: microsoft .net framework 1.1/service pack1 installation failure error code 0x643  (Read 8483 times)

juanabe

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
microsoft says i need to update .NET framework 1.1 sp1 security update. i've tried to update several times unsuccessfully. microsoft online assisted support said to uninstall all versions of .NET framework and then download and install all versions again. i have 2.0/sp2, 3.0/sp2, and 3.5/sp1. i joined computer hope as "familiar" but am little more than a beginner. any help or suggestions would definitely be appreciated. thanks.
things are more like they used to be than they are now

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Your post is not clear - did you or did you not completely uninstall .net and then try again?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Not sure where online support got there info but below is MS's fix...
Here...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

juanabe

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
Not sure where online support got there info but below is MS's fix...
Here...
i went to ms updates and redownloaded .net 1.1. now everything (1.1,2.0,3.0, and3.5) shows as being complete in add and remove programs. am i set or do i need to do anything else? my sincere thanks to you for your post. god bless you.

juanabe

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
Your post is not clear - did you or did you not completely uninstall .net and then try again?
thanks for your post, allen. i think i got it fixed by redownloading .net 1.1 and service pack1. it all shows in add and remove programs now. i don't know if i need to do anything else. i really appreciate your timely post. thank you very much and god bless you.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Glad you got it all straightened out. And no, I don't think you need to do anything else.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Just for clarification because this has come up in the past...
The .NET framework packages are NOT cumulative as the Service Packs are...they each do individual things...

juanabe

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
Just for clarification because this has come up in the past...
The .NET framework packages are NOT cumulative as the Service Packs are...they each do individual things...
i'd like to thank you again for your post. it seems to have gotten me straightened out. all packages (1.1/ minus hotpatch, 2.0/sp2,3.0/sp2, and 3.5/sp1) are showing complete in add and remove programs. ms update says that i have all important updates. but what about the hotpatch that was showing before i removed it at the suggestion of online help? if i need to download it, where do i go to do so? is there any way to tell if everything is straightened out? thanks again, patio.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Hotfixes deal with more than just the .NET packages...
What is the hotfix # ? ?

juanabe

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
Hotfixes deal with more than just the .NET packages...
What is the hotfix # ? ?
since the last post, i returned to add and remove and .net framework 1.1 is empty again so i guess the issue is still open. upon further investigation, i noticed that; ms compression client pack1.0 for xp, ms user-mode driver framework feature pack 1.0, nvidia drivers, via rhine family fast ethernet adapter,windows ie8, windows media format 11 runtime, windows xp service pack 3,gathera,adobe flash player 10 active x, and adobe flash 10 plugins are also empty. i can't tell you the hotfix # . i removed it without making a notation because online assistance said remove them all, clean with a cleaniing tool and redownload all. now i really have no idea what to do??

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
DLoad and re-install .NET 1.1

juanabe

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
DLoad and re-install .NET 1.1
downloaded and installed but it still shows empty. i tried dotnetfx in command prompt but i didn't know the correct info to enter into the command line.

JJ 3000

Egghead
Can you post a screenshot of your add/remove programs?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

juanabe

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
Can you post a screenshot of your add/remove programs?
i don't know how to take a screenshot. sorry i'm not so knowlegable. i will if you could tell me how.

JJ 3000

Egghead
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/