Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Conflicting Software?  (Read 4684 times)

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Conflicting Software?
« on: June 18, 2005, 06:31:18 AM »
Hello all! I recently saw in the newspaper that having two firewalls OR virus protection applications could be dangerous, becuase they will ocnflict with each other... Is this true, or just the usual crap that they put in the newspapers?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

Re: Conflicting Software?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 06:34:52 AM »
ZoneAlarm firewall asks you wheter it should disable the Windows XP firewall or not. To the user it may be dangerous as they may receive conflicting error reports when something has been blocked or is asking for permission to connect to the Internet but what danger could there be for the actual software?

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 06:52:55 AM »
What I mean is this... The new computer cam with McAfee Virus scan... I'm going to install norton, but do not want to uninstall McAfee, becuase it raised *censored* on my old computer... So If I leave Norton and McAfee on at the same time, will they conflict? The paper says that they might weaken each other, making you less secure. Will that happen with Norton and McAfee if they are both on at the same time?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 06:55:24 AM »
You can E-mail both technical support sides to see what they know.

I myself use only one software firewall and a hardware firewall. Bound to be compatible.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 09:23:33 AM »
I would ask Notron support, but those pigs charge you for the chat...  >:(  Oh Well, I can always ask Dell and Gateway... I'll keep everyone posted as to the results...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 01:12:27 PM »
    What I mean is this... The new computer cam with McAfee Virus scan... I'm going to install norton, but do not want to uninstall McAfee, becuase it raised *censored* on my old computer... So If I leave Norton and McAfee on at the same time, will they conflict? The paper says that they might weaken each other, making you less secure. Will that happen with Norton and McAfee if they are both on at the same time?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Anti-virus programs are loners......so to speak .....They tend to be more effective on their own. Sometimes they do not peacefully co-exist .  
    As far as McAfee raising *censored* with your old pc.........I suspect that it was something you removed ... (ie a shared file which was being used by another app ) .
    I have removed both McAfee and Norton from a number of machines and have never had any problems .....other than they both leave remnants all over the place .....That is for example why Norton has a separate removal app to cleanup bits and pieces .  
    If you go into the registry and do a search for either of these applications ......I'll bet you , you will find a number of entries still left behind.  ( But then that happens with many programs)

As far as Norton charging you to "chat" .......  They do not charge for issues which are directly related to their software .   They will however charge for calls which are just general in nature.....( this is done to attempt to avoid niusense calls) .  I have had occassion to phone Norton re software issues with their products and they are very upfront about what support they will provide . If you have a legit problem with their products .......you WILL NOT be charged .........  
    The issue of charging was put in place to attempt to discourage users from simply picking up the phone and tieing up their techs to correct issues which have nothing to do with Norton products.
    In case you havent noticed .........people are lazy , instead of doing a bit of research into the problem they simply throw up their hands and reach for the phone .....

Norton , as well as McAfee have websites , which are there to help . Granted they are not always the easiest to navigate but in many instances the info is there ........

So , in conclusion , I would suggest using just one anti- virus .  You decide which one you want and then remove the other. ( completely )

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 03:59:54 PM »
    yeah. I'll just uninstal McAfee... Hate it lol ... I like the firewall, but hate the virus protection...  ;)  Thanks! I'll give this a quick shot  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 04:45:39 PM »
      You should try the AVG & Sygate combination, I'm sure you'd never go back to Norton or McAfee.
      A lot of people swear by ZoneAlarm too but I find it a little confusing to use.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 07:11:59 PM »
      Thanks for the replies guys! I asked Dell, and of course, tehy want me to just uninstall McAfee... What I'll do is uninstall The virus scan and keep the firewall. Thanks guys!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 05:39:56 AM »
      You should try the AVG & Sygate combination, I'm sure you'd never go back to Norton or McAfee.
      A lot of people swear by ZoneAlarm too but I find it a little confusing to use.

ZoneAlarm is less comprehensive than Sygate.