Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't change desktop picture  (Read 5576 times)

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Can't change desktop picture
« on: November 07, 2009, 01:08:40 AM »
Ok I can't change the desktop picture, well I can change to the regular pictures but not add my own. when I try to add one nothing happens

I have try to do it whit paint but then I get a error that I must save it first and after I save it it keep saying I must save it again. So do anyone know how to fix this problem?
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

alaabelbeisi

Rookie

Re: Can't change desktop picture
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 02:06:37 AM »
    Hi,
    Put a copy of the images "picture"  you want to be a wall paper at the" My Dcuments\My Pictures folder" They will appear at the wall paper list then try to change the desktop wall paper again with one of the new images.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    « Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 02:34:56 AM »
    There is no folder named My pictures in My documents and it doesn't work to crate one
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Vikram Varaprasad

Intermediate
      « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 04:03:21 AM »
      No need to place the picture only in My Pictures folder. There is an option/button "browse" to search for a picture to be set as desktop background in the desktop properties dialogbox.

Open any image editor like paint,photoshop etc.... create your own image and save it with an extension of .bmp or .jpeg or .png or .gif....... at any location.

rightclick on desktop click on "properties", on the dialog box click on "desktop" tab there you saw the browse button to open your created image, select the image and set it as your background. That's all........
      Vikram...

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 04:11:05 AM »
      I have try to do it whit paint but then I get a error that I must save it first and after I save it it keep saying I must save it again.

Vikram Varaprasad

Intermediate
        « Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 04:22:19 AM »
        I can't understood your problem.... Your file won't be saved in paint. Isn't it ?
        Vikram...

Vikram Varaprasad

Intermediate
          « Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 04:32:11 AM »
          (1) You try to save the changes to a picture that uses the Exchangeable Image File Format (EXIF) in Microsoft Paint. The picture is not saved, and you receive the following error

Filename.jpg
          Paint cannot save this file. Save was interrupted, so your file has not been saved.

You cannot edit or save changes to the picture.
          This problem may occur when the size of the EXIF-formatted picture is between 63,487 bytes and 65,535 bytes.

(2) Or a simple manual error like while saving your file in a particular folder with a particular name, if the name already exists it warns you the file already exists.... save it with different name...

Vikram...

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
          « Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 04:40:53 AM »
          When I do like you said

rightclick on desktop click on "properties", on the dialog box click on "desktop" tab there you saw the browse button to open your created image, select the image and set it as your background. That's all........

The picture wont load, and if I try to use any program (like pain) I get "You need to save before you can use it as a Background picture" If I try to edit it in Regedit I get just a blue background (Red:58, Green:110, Blue:165, shade:141, saturation:115, Light strength:105) I have attempt all the common codes for Pictures ".JPG, .IMG, .BMP etc"

There is nothing wrong in the gpedit.msc, and everything look fine

Edit: The files are not corrupted, I have attempt to do it whit 10 other files and change there name

Vikram Varaprasad

Intermediate
            « Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 04:45:35 AM »
            You can put a picture to desktop background through modifying the registry. Here is the registry address

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper

try it......
            Vikram...

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
            « Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 04:52:44 AM »
            You can put a picture to desktop background through modifying the registry. Here is the registry address

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper

try it......

Are you really reading what I am saying? I feel  like I am talking to a bot...

Here read it again please,

When I do like you said

The picture wont load, and if I try to use any program (like pain) I get "You need to save before you can use it as a Background picture" If I try to edit it in Regedit I get just a blue background (Red:58, Green:110, Blue:165, shade:141, saturation:115, Light strength:105) I have attempt all the common codes for Pictures ".JPG, .IMG, .BMP etc"

There is nothing wrong in the gpedit.msc, and everything look fine

Edit: The files are not corrupted, I have attempt to do it whit 10 other files and change there name

Vikram Varaprasad

Intermediate
              « Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 05:04:16 AM »
              Lets try a Selective Startup (clean boot) - this will help determine if a Service or Startup program is causing the issue

How-to run Windows in Selective Startup (Clean Boot)…

1.     Click Start, click Control Panel, click System and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click System Configuration.

2.     Click Continue, or provide Administrator credentials if prompted.

3.     Click the General tab, and click Selective startup.

4.     Under Selective startup uncheck Load startup items.

5.     Click the Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services box, and then click Disable all.

6.     Click the Apply, then OK, and then Restart.

If you still have issue, re-do the above steps and this time click on Normal Startup.

If this is a recent issue, have you considered doing a System Restore to a point before this issue started?

Running the System Restore utility

1.     Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2.     Click Continue or provide Administrator credentials if necessary.

3.     Click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.

4.     Select a Date and Time prior to first sign of the issue you’ve described.

5.     If the date you need is in excess of (5) days click the Show restore points older than 5 days check box.

Important Notice: That System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. Thus, any recently installed programs, updates, or changes to configuration will be lost if you use System Restore. However, make note that System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file.
              Vikram...

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
              « Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 05:07:53 AM »
              Ok, I will find something to bang my head on. Then I'm going to look if anyone else can help me.

But Thanks for trying Vikram Varaprasad
              « Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:26:44 AM by Frejoh466 »

Vikram Varaprasad

Intermediate
                « Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 05:18:21 AM »
                I tried my level best......... Don't use any words such as "sight" please. I tried to help you but it won't solve your problem. Someone  will soon solve it. Be hopeful, be patient and don't frustrate on others... keep smiling :)
                Vikram...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 05:54:26 AM »
                Hello,
                Now let me try. Your title says you cannot change the desktop picture. It in your post you indicate that you can change pictures. This leads to some misunderstanding.
                What you meant to say was that you have not been able to edit large pictures with him MS Paint. The built in pictures used as backgrounds in Windows should not be altered.

In general terms, desktop backgrounds are made from photographs saved in the day he JPG format.  The size of about 600 x 800 should be suitable.

One way to collect new background photos is by visiting sites on the Internet that feature photos that are suitable as backgrounds. In Google you can search for images and when you find one you can make it full size and then with your mouse to a right click and you should sign something that says save as background or save it as wallpaper.

This file might be stored in a different location than where you would expect it to be. For example, in Firefox it is stored in a separate area, yet Firefox tells the system to look for the background in that area. So later, when you go to change your background from the standard list, you will not see  the background that you saved in Firefox. Instead, you have to browse over to the specific folder that was used  by Firefox to save your background image.

You should not have any trouble editing the new pictures in MS Paint.  You should limit yourself to either the JPG, BMP or GIF file types. PNG may also be used, but the files size may be larger than needed. As you found, MS Paint may not work right with other format types.

Do not use Regedit. It is not a image editor.

Crinale819

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 02:29:40 PM »
                go to start menu, click settings then control panel, appearance theme then click the change the desktop background, you will see all pictures stored on your hard drive, browse it.