Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Thinking of reseting to defaults, But I want to save personal files  (Read 3412 times)

Gradytrain

Topic Starter

Rookie

I am having a problem on my computer and its becoming more and more clear that I should just bite the bullet and reset my computer to default, Only deal is losing personal data. I have 2 hard drives, one main and one extra for personal storage (Both internal BTW). So when I reformat, does it just do my main one or will it do it to both? Or How can I restart my computer and safely keep all my personal files intact?

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Thinking of reseting to defaults, But I want to save personal files
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:07:37 AM »
    I suggest backing up the files to the second hard disk, then re-install the OS to the primary hard disk.  I would suggest using a Repair Install first.

What OS are you using?
    Evil is an exact science.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:38:23 PM »
    You may copy your data files to any off disc media (external hd, cd, dvd, etc) and then copy it back after a new install.

Gradytrain

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 03:57:56 AM »
      I am using XP SP2 I think, but I already have personal Data On my other internal hard drive, is there a way to save the stuff on a specific hard drive and restart the main one with the computer files?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 05:26:00 AM »
      Yes of course. Let's stop using "other" and "specific", okay? What drive letter is the data currently on?

Gradytrain

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 02:57:16 PM »
        All the main computer data is on drive C. I keep all my personal data (Music, pictures, etc) on what I called drive Z.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 02:58:40 PM »
        If you format drive c:, drive z: will not be affected. I'm not sure what you mean by "main computer data" though - do you mean just the OS and system files or are there data files too?

Gradytrain

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 03:00:20 PM »
          Main computer Files = WINDOWS, Program Files, Program Data, Drivers, Etc.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 03:07:34 PM »
          That's fine. As long as z: is a separate drive or partition it will not be impacted by anything you do to c:

Gradytrain

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 03:20:39 PM »
            Yes, I am pretty sure it is since I installed myself, but how can I go about reformatting manually, is there a way to access it from like the system boot menu or BIOS menu? I have a CD but its very ambiguous on what it does. I put the CD and boot the CD from menu and it gives me a warning. Personally I was hoping for a non-destructive restore if you get what I mean.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 03:24:59 PM »
            Do you have an original XP CD or just a restore disc? If the latter, what type of message does it give you?

Gradytrain

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 04:19:01 PM »
              I do not have a XP disc, I have a "restore DVD". When I boot to that disc it prompts a message: Full System Recovery/Factory Recondition, All Data will be lost, Y/N to continue, Y = Format Drive and Install new OS.

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 04:23:47 PM »
              Okay, again - that refers only to the system drive / partition (c:). Any data on a separate drive or partition will not be touched. If you are concerned though, you can do one of several things: copy critical data to off-disc media (cd, dvd, usb drive, external drive, etc), use a disc imaging utility to image your z: drive, or use a backup utility to copy your data to a backup file off disc.

But as I said, the restore utility will only effect c: drive.

Gradytrain

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 04:24:52 PM »
                K, thanks for the info.

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 04:25:40 PM »
                Sure