Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wake from standby via mouse  (Read 2563 times)

McGuire

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Wake from standby via mouse
    « on: November 12, 2009, 04:01:27 PM »
    I would like to wake from standby with the mouse.  Windows XP and USB mouse.  In Mouse Properties, I have selected "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby."  However, I see nowhere in the Power Options Properties to activate this function.  Something I'm missing?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Wake from standby via mouse
    « Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »
    Is it a usb mouse? If so, I believe if you change the setting in power options to disable selective power saving to usb devices it should solve your problem. I'm not 100% certain because I've never used sleep. Instead I just set the hd and display to power down after a defined period of inactivity. It's easier on your system, uses fewer resources, and is fail-safe (compared to sleep & hibernate which can sometimes be problematical for many users).

McGuire

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:40:13 PM »
      The power scheme I'm using is the "Home/Office Desk" default:
          Turn off monitor: After 1 hour
          Turn off hard disks: After 1 hour
          System standby: After 1 hour
          System hibernates: Never

I just noticed I have the USB mouse plugged into a PS/2 adapter.  Nowhere in the Power Options Properties is there a "power saving to USB devices."

All that aside, would it be better to just set the monitor and disk to turn off (not system standby).  And if so, can I still wake it with the mouse or keyboard?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 04:44:05 PM »
      In ADVANCED POWER SETTINGS for your profile there should be a USB SETTINGS option. But yes, in my opinion it is better not to use sleep. I have my hd & display power down after 30 minutes of inactivity. And yes, the mouse should be able to bring the hd & display back to life.

McGuire

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 04:54:17 PM »
        I have no options for usb or mouse or keyboard in the Power Options.  I just went to "Help and Support Center" and read this:

During Windows Setup, ACPI is installed only if all components present during Setup support power management. Some components, especially legacy components, do not support power management and can cause erratic behavior with Advanced Power Management (APM), or may prevent ACPI from being installed. Examples of such components are Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) components and an out-of-date BIOS

I've had my mouse and keyboard for forever ... can't seem to part; maybe that's the problem?

Anyway, thanks for your help!