Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suspected problem with dual video cards; monitor dark.  (Read 2114 times)

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

Suspected problem with dual video cards; monitor dark.
    « on: November 18, 2009, 07:15:01 PM »
    Hi, guys. I've returned with yet another problem..
    I'm running a:

Dell XPS710
    Intel Core2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 Ghz
    2 GB RAM

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
    Dual nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS cards (driver 6.14.11.8618 - 06/10/09)
    DirectX 9.0c

I just replaced the hard drive after a complete failure (quality parts.. thanks again, Dell!) and now that I have it back up and running I figured I would install Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2.

A little background; prior to my HD crashing, I was having some heat issues.. the display would zoom in randomly.. I would reboot and the display would not return. I ended up opening the case and cleaning out two years worth of filth and it seemed to solve the issue.

Since the new HD installation, everything has been running seemingly fine. After playing GRAW 2 for the first time on the new HD, after exiting the game, I had the screen zooming again. I went to reboot and again, the display would not appear (standby light on, however). I let the computer sit for about eight hours with the case open for cooling, and when I booted it again, there was no issue. Later that day, I played GRAW 2 again, and after playing, again, the display zoomed. After booting, however, the display has yet to return.

I've tried to boot at least nineteen times, I've let the the PC sit unpowered with a room fan blowing on for over ten hours, nothing is working. I removed the video cards, cleaned out any dust, returned them and tried.. NO-GO. I've tried all of the four DVI-D ports, NO-GO. The monitor has power and is responsive in between port swaps, which leads me to believe that the issue is the video cards. I'm not sure what my next move should be. I have a feeling at some point the cards will work again but I may just be in denial. If I can't get them up and running again, I need help choosing and affordable / but good for gaming card that can run high-end games such as Crysis and GRAW 2. Any help is appreciated!

C

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Suspected problem with dual video cards; monitor dark.
      « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
      Anyone? :P

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 05:40:20 PM »
      ... I was having some heat issues.. the display would zoom in randomly.. I would reboot and the display would not return. ...I had the screen zooming again. I went to reboot and again, the display would not appear (standby light on, however). ...the display zoomed. After booting, however, the display has yet to return... which leads me to believe that the issue is the video cards....
      You have provided a lot of background, but all you say is you have "screen zooming", whatever that means.  You have 2 video cards and both monitors are doing the same thing at the same time?  Or 1 is dark and 1 is "zooming"?

CPitalo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:20:50 PM »
        I'm running two cards in SLI for one monitor, so it's just the one.

The computer plays the sound byte like I were connecting new hardware and the resolution goes from normal to zoomed in. Everything is HUGE and total area of display cannot be seen at one time. I can view the unseen portions by mousing toward them.. the display will scroll in that direction.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:53:21 PM by CPitalo »