Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: keys are typing in code?  (Read 2583 times)

ksb187

Topic Starter

keys are typing in code?
    « on: November 19, 2009, 10:07:25 PM »
    I don't know what I hit, but I'm actually typing this from my husband's computer because I can't type anything from my computer now. When I type "t" it comes out t5. Then I hit backspace and it comes out with dashes. Nothing is what it is supposed to be. I have a Satellite Toshiba laptop and it runs Windows XP. I tried to reboot, but then I ran into another problem. I couldn't type in my password to let me back into Windows. Everytime I type "R" it shows that I typed 2 letters in the password screen. My mom said I might have numlock on, but as far as I can tell, it isn't on and even when I press function F11 it doesn't seem to do anything. I still have some kind of code enabled. How do I go back to regular typing?

ksb187

Topic Starter

Re: keys are typing in code?
      « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 10:10:08 PM »
      Even if someone can tell me what to search, that would be helpful. I can't find any information about this as I don't even know what it is or how I turned this code thing on. If this has been posted before, please forgive me and send me to the link.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:54:57 PM »
      I'm wondering if you have a regular keyboard (the ones coming with standard desktop computers) and try plugging that into the laptop. See if this works. If it does, you can get back to your own laptop and keep on using it while you are looking for a way to fix your laptop's keyboard.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 11:01:02 PM »
      My old thinkpad does this.... or it used to, before it stopped booting altogether.

In my case, it was a system board failure. However, it's also almost 15 years old.

If an external keyboard (you'll likely need to use a USB keyboard) works, then it's possible the laptops keyboard is failing/has failed.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:37:17 AM »
      Check the Region & Language applet in Control Panel