Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Being able to use 8GB of Ram with Dual Boot Vista 32 and Windows7 64  (Read 2615 times)

WDLees

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have a Dell XPS720 that came with Vista Home Premium 32bit and 4 GB of Ram. Recently I installed Windows7 Ultimate 64bit on separate Disk and purchased 4 more GB of Ram.

Now using Windows7 all the time but when I try to install more than 4 GB of Ram I can not boot up into Windows7. ( when it starts to boot into Windows7 it asks to start normally or repair...... with normal it quits and restarts and with repair it does nothing and i have to force quit) I can boot into Vista 32bit.

My Question is how can I get Windows7 to use 8 GB of Ram without starting over reinstalling all the programs and settings.

I have been told I should remove the Vista disk and the Windows7 disk and do a single boot clean install of Windows7 and then I would be able use the 8 GB of Ram and the system would be more stable.

But then I would have hours and hours of reinstalling programs and settings.

I found out I can not just delete the Vista Disk because then I get a NTLDR
    « Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 01:31:28 PM by WDLees »

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
      Re: Being able to use 8GB of Ram with Dual Boot Vista 32 and Windows7 64
      « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 02:16:17 PM »
      Hm... When you try to boot using all 8 it give you trouble? the second 4 Gb you ad in might be bad. Try swaping the sticks around and see if Vista 32 can boot with those sticks. You also might want to run a check on those sticks to make sure they are fine.
      Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

WDLees

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »
        Thank you but I am pretty sure it is not the RAM or the motherboard.

The computer came with 4 1GB chips and that still works so it is not the motherboard

The new ram is 4 2GB chips and they each  work alone on slot 1

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »
        There's no reason Win7 Ultimate should be doing this...
        Did you do a clean install over Vista ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

WDLees

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:13:01 AM »
          No I did a clean install of WIndows7 on another disk.

Dell says some of the boot settings are on the Vista disk.