Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not turn on  (Read 2021 times)

Marjorie

Topic Starter

Beginner

Computer will not turn on
    « on: November 30, 2009, 10:36:34 AM »
    Grandson brought us his friends computer yesterday to look at. He said when the problem began that he was sleeping and it just turned on and off by itself. I asked if it had been left on and he said NO. So I have never heard of this before, but now there is no power to it at all. My hubby has all sorts of meters etc to check if there is power to a specific thing. He checked the switch and it is ok. He checked the power supply and it does not measure up to what it should, so it could be the power supply which is what I suspected. But before we buy a power supply, how can we be sure it is not the mother board? Is there a way to know that for sure? It is an E-machines, windows XP. I know that E-Machines are not the best, so that could be a problem in itself lol..

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer will not turn on
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:43:07 AM »
    Your best bet is to borrow a PSU of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there before spending the money on 1...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "