Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 hard disks (SATA and IDE) at the same time  (Read 2489 times)

geek hoodlum

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
2 hard disks (SATA and IDE) at the same time
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:58:42 PM »
My motherboard is MSI K9N6PGM2-V Micro-ATX. My OS is XP SP2 and installed in my 500GB SATA HDD. I have CD-ROM drive which is connected via IDE cable.

I have an old 80GB IDE hard disk and I want to retrieve some files there. Can someone guide me step by step on how to connect my old IDE HDD in my current setup? Please?

I'm not familiar in setting up the primary, master, or slave drive since I have SATA and IDE at the same time. Do I need to configure something in my 500GB SATA HDD or just focus on the IDE only? Please help.

Salmon Trout

Re: 2 hard disks (SATA and IDE) at the same time
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 02:19:34 AM »
You need to focus on the IDE side of things. Your motherboard has one 40 pin IDE connector. This means you can connect up to 2 IDE devices to that channel. If the cable to your CD-ROM drive has 2 connectors you can connect the IDE hard drive to the spare one, or it may be more practical to switch them around. Without knowing the location of the drive bays in your computer it is difficult to say which would be best.

Perhaps the simplest thing to do would be to remove the connector to the CD-ROM drive and temporarily connect it to the IDE hard drive.

In this case you need to know how the CD-ROM drive is jumpered. You should Google for the HDD and CD-ROM drive manuals and/or look at the jumpers and the informative stickers on the drives, and make sure the HDD is jumpered correctly. Also connect the Molex power plug. Do all this with the PC powered down and disconnected from AC, observing proper static precautions.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert