Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: connect to internet without server  (Read 1937 times)

k_mohsen

Topic Starter

Intermediate

connect to internet without server
    « on: December 06, 2009, 10:31:30 AM »
    Hello
    I want to connect other PCs in my home to internet via cat5. The connection type is DSL. Someone tell me to make a PC as server and make other as client. This process is expensive and hard for me, because I have no experimental in networking.
    Is there any DSL modem that has switcher and can work like a server in home network?

Thanks

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: connect to internet without server
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 12:36:20 PM »
    If all you want is internet - Just buy a cheap Ethernet Router and use that.  If you want to sort of have a server you could buy a NAS Hard Drive which connects to your router and can be accessed on any networked computer allowing centralised storage and backups.

k_mohsen

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 02:36:06 PM »
      If all you want is internet - Just buy a cheap Ethernet Router and use that.  If you want to sort of have a server you could buy a NAS Hard Drive which connects to your router and can be accessed on any networked computer allowing centralised storage and backups.

sorry, I must add other options in my last post. I also need to share printer and some folder.
      dear Camerongray, the alon router can serve network and internet for other PCs?
      IS some modem like "D-LINK DSL-2540U" or "TP-LINK TD-8840" good for me?

thanks

neelchauhan

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:51:52 AM »
      No, but you can install 2 NICs in your PC, use Smoothwall, and attach one to the DSL router, and the other to the Ethernet stwitch. Or you can use a router (If you don't want to buy Cat5 cables, get a wireless one).
      I highly recommend Gigabit as the server will last longer.