Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A few questions about my graphics card  (Read 3207 times)

leekaiwei

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

A few questions about my graphics card
    « on: December 11, 2009, 04:14:55 PM »
    First of all, I am not entirely sure what video card I have. I know it is either a Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT or 9600M GT. I know the M version is for laptops but both GPU-Z and Rivatuner states that it is 9600M GT while at boot, before the splash screen when it is showing the GPU Bios Version e.t.c it says 9600 GT. In GPU-Z it also says that the card only has 128MB of memory while at startup it says 512MB. I have compared my specs to the official specs of both desktop and laptop versions and it seems it is closer to the laptop version but it is not exact. In fact the specs are lower than the official.

The official drivers don't work, neither laptop or desktop drivers. What does work is dox's customized forceware which as you can tell from the name is customized and so unofficial.

On a side note, what does the approx. total memory in dxdiag actually show? I gathered it was something to do with using RAM when the gpu's run out but I'm not sure. It also says 9600M GT here.

Oh, while I'm at it, I overclocked it the other day and re-ran windows 7's index rating. Gaming graphics performance went up from 4.8 to 5.1 but aero performance stayed at 4.8? Shouldn't it increase?

Any ideas? Thanks
    « Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:59:02 AM by leekaiwei »

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Video Card with conflicting readings
    « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 04:19:32 PM »
    I'm sorry, what's your question?

And to find out what card you have go to device manager.

leekaiwei

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 04:19:03 AM »
      It says 9600M GT in device manager. Sorry for being unclear. I just wanted to know why there are conflicting readings and why official drivers dont work e.t.c. I put many questions in my first post but those are the main ones.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 08:25:15 AM »
      Laptop drivers are indeed often highly customized and very specific to the system. In many cases you can only use the drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer. Not much to do about it.

leekaiwei

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 10:42:35 AM »
        Duh again. I am very sorry but I forgot to mention that I have a desktop. That is why I am so confused as to why my card seems to be a laptop one???

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:46:48 AM »
        Well, that IS strange. As far as I can see that IS a laptop card. Try downloading and running either Belarc Advisor or Everest and see what they say for your video card specs.

leekaiwei

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 10:03:21 AM »
          hmm belarc also says 9600M GT...

if no one can answer that question then how about my other two questions about dxdiag and windows index rating?