Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I'm trying to make some DVD's...  (Read 3099 times)

aces67

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    I'm trying to make some DVD's...
    « on: December 15, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »
    My dd has a Video Now player. I got some software and blank discs with it. You're supposed to be able to put cartoons onto the blank discs.

My question is how? It won't let me use any of the DVD's I have here at home b/c they are copyrighted so where do you find some that aren't? Or am I doing something wrong?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: I'm trying to make some DVD's...
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »
    Honestly, I have no clue what you're trying to do.
    What's "dd" anyway?

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »
    Trying to make backups of DVD's  you own to blank discs and it's not working?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:25:21 PM »
    If they're copyrighted, you can't (legally).

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:31:42 PM »
    If they're copyrighted, you can't (legally).

but if you're making backups for just yourself to keep your originals safe, does that work?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 10:44:05 PM »
    It won't let you and in the US it's illegal.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 03:13:44 AM »
    but if you're making backups for just yourself to keep your originals safe, does that work?

there is no legal clause that says you can have your own copy. People make that up.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 04:05:02 AM »
    It won't let you and in the US it's illegal.

I believe that it's not the copying (there is such a thing as "fair use" in US copyright law) that is illegal in the USA, but the circumvention of DVD encryption.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:23:03 AM »
    You're right and we're here in gray area: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/08/judge-copying-dvds-is-illegal/
    At least in US. I believe, I've read somewhere, that copying DVDs for own use was declared legal, by some judge in Canada.

SAN FRANCISCO — A federal judge ruled here late Tuesday that it was unlawful to traffic in goods to copy DVDs.

U.S. District Judge Marilyn Hall Patel’s ruling came in a decision in which she declared RealNetworks’ DVD copying software was illegal. She barred it from being distributed.

Patel said the RealDVD software violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 that prohibits the circumvention of encryption technology. DVDs are encrypted with what is known as the Content Scramble System, and DVD players must secure a license to play discs. RealDVD, she ruled, circumvents technology designed to prevent copying.

But the decision, although mixed, left open the door that copying DVD’s for personal use “may well be” lawful under the fair use doctrine of the Copyright Act, although trafficking in such goods was illegal.

Because RealDVD makes a permanent copy of copyrighted DVD content, there is no exemption from DMCA liability, statutory or otherwise, that applies here. Whatever application the fair use doctrine may have for individual consumers making backup copies of their own DVDs, it does not portend to save Real from liability under the DMCA in this action,” Patel wrote (.pdf) in a lawsuit brought by Hollywood.

However, she stopped short of sanctioning personal use copies, and gave a conflicting message on whether it was legal. “So while it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally owned DVD on that individual’s computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies,” Patel said. She added, “fair use can never be an affirmative defense to the act of gaining unauthorized access” — a simple way of saying it was illegal to hack into the encryption to make a copy.

“These seem to be contradicting points,” said Fred von Lohmann, a copyright attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a civil liberties group based in San Francisco.

The decision, minus the fair use language, mirrored the 2004 decision by another federal judge declaring as illegal DVD copying software from 321 Studios. The difference was that RealNetworks secured a Content Scramble System license, and claimed a loophole in the license allowed its RealDVD software to make hard-drive or thumb-drive backup copies of movies.

ganjaman

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 01:19:30 PM »
      Use DVD SHRINK that will nock anything off ::)
      I Love Allan XXX