Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I determine what process or driver is causing a program to lock up  (Read 2777 times)

jmwslt

I was wondering if there is software that can show me what process(s) might be running or causing a program to stop functioning.
I am using Cakewalk Sonar 8.3 (audio/midi recording & playback software) on my Dell Inspiron M6400 laptop.  During playback of midi files using VST and DXI synths, playback may stop at any given moment.  It doesn't happen to often.  Maybe once every few hours.  We use this during performances so if this happens during a performance, I must restart sonar.  Fortuneately I do not need to reboot the computer but it still is a problem.  This laptop is used only for my music and is not connected to the internet.  WIFI is disabled and all unnecessary functions have been disabled.  I would like to find a way to see what processes or services are running when Sonar locks up.  It would be very helpful is there is some software that could be running in the background that would identify running processes or services.  In this way, I may be able to isolate what may be interfering with Sonar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jan ???
Dell Inspiron M6400 3.06 mhz   1gb  1067mhz ram   Roland UA101 usb external DAW.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How can I determine what process or driver is causing a program to lock up
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:16:29 PM »
Process Explorer...FREE.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "