Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Full Freeze/Hard Lockup in games under Win XP SP3...  (Read 4712 times)

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Full Freeze/Hard Lockup in games under Win XP SP3...
« on: December 17, 2009, 04:01:04 AM »
Hi guys

First my Specs:

Asus P5KPL-CM Mobo
Intel C2D E7400 @ 2.8GHz (Stock)
4GB DDR2 800 2X2GB sticks (running in dual channel 667)
Amaze ATi HD 4870 1GB with Accellero Twin Turbo cooler
Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio 7.1 Channel PCI-e Edition (in 5.1 channel mode)
500W Auriga PSU

So the problem is, games will completely randomly freeze my whole machine.

I don't have a problem ever while surfing the net, emails, etc,  but when playing a game, and I mean ANY game, My computer will hard lock, repeating the last 500ms or so of audio, forcing me to push the reset button to get it working again.

I have checked my temperatures, nothing too high. The highest I have seen my GFX ram hit is 70 Degrees C at full load, whereas most other forums i read had theirs at 80+

I do use Surround gaming, but that seems to not be an issue, as I would get a BSOD, right?

I have lots of games I am currently 1/2 way through, so reformating at this time is not an option.

The games I have had the lockups in:

Age of Empires 1 (yeah I still play it!)
Oblivion
Morrowind
COD 4
COD 5
Medal of Honor - Airborne

Any Ideas?

Kurtis

EDIT:

Just ran Memtest+ 86 v4 with no errors at all, and also ran 3DMark06, with each test making 2 passes, no errors/freezing :S (
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:24:17 AM by Kurtiskain »

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
Re: Full Freeze/Hard Lockup in games under Win XP SP3...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:19:59 AM »
Played COD 1 for a few hours before finally getting a different error again! a error in CODsp.exe in module atioglxx.dll...so ATi drivers to blame for the lot maybe? I'm running Catalyst 9.9

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:38:22 AM »
I believe that's part of ATI's OpenGL driver. I know it's a pain, especially with ATI drivers, but try downloading a fresh driver installer, removing the driver and CCC and reinstalling it all. Make sure you get all the files, I know ATI likes to leave stuff here and there, or at least they used to, don't know if they ever fixed that.

If the latest driver doesn't work, try getting an 8.x version. Some people had this with the 9.x drivers, but it went away when they downgraded to 8.x.

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 04:16:38 AM »
I believe that's part of ATI's OpenGL driver. I know it's a pain, especially with ATI drivers, but try downloading a fresh driver installer, removing the driver and CCC and reinstalling it all. Make sure you get all the files, I know ATI likes to leave stuff here and there, or at least they used to, don't know if they ever fixed that.

If the latest driver doesn't work, try getting an 8.x version. Some people had this with the 9.x drivers, but it went away when they downgraded to 8.x.

I have just downloaded the latest ones to try, (I am on dial up) heheh.

I have however twice today had it where my machine will get to a point where nothing will open, you can double click the icon, it won't budge. You can open task manager, but then once you close it the whole machine sort of goes into a state of vegetation...the mouse moves, icons highlight. nobody's home. I might just have to cut my losses, save what game saves I can, and reformat.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 07:02:58 AM »
Yeah, starting to sound like more than the video driver acting up. You run a full scan on your system lately?

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 01:36:47 AM »
Thanks for your help Quaxxo, I cut my losses after I found lots and lots of viruses after a LAN party.

Seems to be OK now :) must have been a corrupt file or something :(

Kurtis

TadasJA

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »
was having TOTALLY same problem with my GF FX 5500 nvidia (of course with diff games) so I don't think ATI or drivers or ccc is the problem ...
I3 2.40ghz 4gb ram Ati Mobility Radeon hd5470 512mb

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 04:51:48 PM »
was having TOTALLY same problem with my GF FX 5500 nvidia (of course with diff games) so I don't think ATI or drivers or ccc is the problem ...

Hmm okay, It surely can't be a hardware fault then? Because after the reformat, it hasn't happened since, no blue Screens, no crashes, its been perfect.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 06:59:12 AM »
No, not a hardware fault otherwise you'd still be having it. No amount of formatting will fix that. I was, as I said, most likely a file or driver issue from that LAN party. Pardon the analogy, but going to a LAN party is like going to an orgy... It may be fun, but you never know what others are bringing in or what you're walking out with if your protection fails.  ;D

Not that I go to a lot of orgies or anything...

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 07:18:06 AM »
No, not a hardware fault otherwise you'd still be having it. No amount of formatting will fix that. I was, as I said, most likely a file or driver issue from that LAN party. Pardon the analogy, but going to a LAN party is like going to an orgy... It may be fun, but you never know what others are bringing in or what you're walking out with if your protection fails.  ;D

Not that I go to a lot of orgies or anything...

heheheh

It was happening before the party though ;)

I hadn't reinstalled windows for about 9 months before last month though so maybe it was just time to eheh