Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Seagate Replica needs to be formatted?  (Read 4462 times)

Josh64

Topic Starter

Rookie

Seagate Replica needs to be formatted?
    « on: December 17, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »
    I have a Seagate Replica 250gb external Hard Drive, and all the sudden a strange problem has arose. I keep my Itunes library on the Seagate so my computer hard drive wont fill up completely, and it has always worked fine for the six months I've used it for this. Anyway all the sudden today when I plugged my Seagate Replica into the USB Interface port to load some more music into my library, it wouldn't connect and when it finally did it said drive E (the seagate hard drive) needed to be formatted to work with my computer. This is strange because it's worked fine for months and now all the sudden it gives me this message. The biggest problem however regarding this issue is that in order to re format my seagate replica is that everything on it has to be erased, which includes school documents as well as my music. Does anyone know why this problem would suddenly occur, or have any suggestions? I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Seagate Replica needs to be formatted?
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »
    Absolutely not!   :o
    Do not, for any reason, format that drive. This is a false message that Windows gives when something is wrong with the USB interface for a mass storage device.
    I is difficult from here to know exactly what happened. But this is a problem that other people have reported many times over and over.
    There just is something about the USB system and external drives that just does not seem to work right.
    Is this on a laptop? If so, go find a friend that has a desktop PC and figure out some way to hook the external drive into the desktop. But do not use the USB adapter. Instead, find some way to hook that drive directly into the desktop. Most likely the drive is perfectly all right and all your data is still there. By the way, is this thing still under warranty? If so, you need to contact the manufacturer of the enclosure. Was this an all-in-one enclosure? I mean to say was the device and the drive purchased as a single unit from a vendor? Is it as Seagate product? I mean is the entire package got a Seagate brand on it? Seagate is very good about standing behind their products. But that may not be the case for enclosures that are made and packaged by others.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 04:42:57 PM »
    ...I mean is the entire package got a Seagate brand on it? ...
    http://www.seagate.com/replica/

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 04:58:49 PM »
    Computer_Commando, Thanks
    Yes it is a Seagate product.
    It has a faie yer warranty.
    I would call them and ask for a replacement unit.

But meanwhile, How to get the data off the thing?

Josh64

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 05:51:20 PM »
      I purchased the drive in an all in one package about seven months ago so I believe it is still under warranty. And yes I do use a laptop, but unfortunately I don't know anyone currently who owns a desktop, but I'll ask my neighbor, he might. And it is a seagate product, it is called a Seagate Replica model number- ST902504BDA101-RK .

Thanks Alot I'll try those two things