Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista, games that are compatible?  (Read 2750 times)

ripper6192008

Topic Starter

Rookie

Vista, games that are compatible?
    « on: January 05, 2010, 12:03:28 PM »
    Are there any games that are compatibl with this OS? Is there a place to find a list of what's compatible with vista? (in the vein of older games like doom,quake,duke numken 3d,etc.)

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Vista, games that are compatible?
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
    I'm not into games on the pc, but I'd think pretty much everything that works with XP would be fine - if not in Vista's native mode then certainly in XP Compatibility mode.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »
    Games I have include Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Quake 4, Duke Nukem 3d, Duke Nukem Manhattan Project, Need For Speed High Stakes, Age of Empires +ROR, Age of Empires 2 +AOC, and quite a number of others.

Specifically, Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, and Duke 3d don't always work with their "original" game file; for example, because Doom, Doom2, Quake, and Duke3d are DOS programsm they have a number of issues with windows NT based systems.

However, these programs have also had their source code released, and it was gobbled up by enthusiasts, who quickly made "ports" that ran on windows systems, Linux systems, mac systems, etc, natively; they also include features like the use of OpenGL or high-resolution textures.

It's quite easy to find a port, if they exist, for your game; Just search for Game +windows ports, and you should get several hits. for Duke3d, I recommend eduke32 by Terminix; for Doom, I recommend gzdoom, (a variant, gzscoredoom, is really fun too) for quake, there are a lot to choose from; I use qrack and joequake, and fitzquake. Quake 2 is pretty much a choice between quake 2 evolved and Quake2XP, both of which add amazing effects like water reflections and use of shaders.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:47:32 PM »
    Post of the Month nomination...both for it's brevity and accuracy....

!!
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 06:16:38 AM »
    Post of the Month nomination...both for it's brevity and accuracy....

!!
    ;D