Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Seagate hard drive failure  (Read 2889 times)

saint_hades

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• She's nearly ready
    Seagate hard drive failure
    « on: January 08, 2010, 10:52:06 AM »
    Hi,
    I've already started a topic about my hard drive (http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,92928.0/all.html) so look there if you want to understand the whole picture of what I'm talking about and look at some pictures of my drive (the pictures are towards the middle of the page)

I've been doing some research and I've found out I'm not the only person with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 who's hard drive has ceased to work.
    I know my case is slightly different (plastic covering has been ripped of and got stuck in the cable (see the pictures to understand)), but its still same drive, therefore it was born faulty and it wasn't my fault.

Anyway I contacted Seagate and they said I can have a new drive (its still under warranty) but they wont give me free data recovery. However other customers have been offered this luxury.

I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions as to what I should do/say so that I'm allowed this free data recovery?
    Thanks   
    Computer Specs
    Motherboard - Nforce 780i xfx CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600  Hard drive - 120GB RAM - Geil DDR2 2GBx2 BLACK DRAGON Graphics Card - XFX 8800GTX PSU - Gigabyte 800w GT

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Seagate hard drive failure
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:20:26 AM »
    NO drive manuf. offers FREE data recovery...if someone told you this then probably also have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale...

Plus with the casing ripped off i'd say cut your losses and accept the replacement drive graciously...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

saint_hades

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• She's nearly ready
      « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:29:04 AM »
      Yes but most websites mention the free data recovery

'Seagate will provide free data recovery services.' (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/18/barracuda_firmware_upgrade_and_recovery/)
      'the free data recovery offer for the original Barracuda firmware fault to users who have suffered data loss due to this new fault caused by Seagate's 'corrected' firmware.' (http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/01/21/seagate_firmware_fix_breaks_barracudas/)
      'Seagate will provide free data recovery services, since the data is not actually affected.' (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/seagate-7200.11-failing,6844.html)

Also I do believe the plastic covering being ripped of was also Seagate's fault cause if the drive didn't malfunction then I wouldn't have tried to mess around with the cables, thus causing me to break them. 
      Computer Specs
      Motherboard - Nforce 780i xfx CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600  Hard drive - 120GB RAM - Geil DDR2 2GBx2 BLACK DRAGON Graphics Card - XFX 8800GTX PSU - Gigabyte 800w GT

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:38:03 AM »
      With that argument you may want to consider a carreer in the Legal profession...

saint_hades

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• She's nearly ready
        « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:42:33 AM »
        Well I am starting my law degree next year, at Oxford university. 
        Computer Specs

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »
        Brilliant...i'd still like to see how you can convince anyone that the plastic housing being shredded was somehow Seagate's fault.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »
        Well I am starting my law degree next year, at Oxford university. 
        An now you have a start on your first term paper!  ;D

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 12:59:20 PM »
        ...Also I do believe the plastic covering being ripped of was also Seagate's fault cause if the drive didn't malfunction then I wouldn't have tried to mess around with the cables, thus causing me to break them. 
        You must be joking!  If that's the basis of your legal brief, case dismissed!