Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why Does my Laptop reboot when I try to change the brightness on the Screen?  (Read 2762 times)

Coltonmohr

Hi, I just got an acer aspire 5517 15.6" screen 3gb ram, 250gb HDD, AMD athlon 64 X2, running windows 7 and today I have been having a problem.. all I wanted to do was adjust the brightness of the screen which is something i've done many times with it since I got it for Christmas and 3 or 4 times in a row when I tried to lower the brightness (it is set to maximum right now) the screen immediately goes blank soon followed by the booting screen... then it asks me if I want to start it in safe mode because it didn't shut down properly... I've been afraid to try and adjust the brightness again. Is there anything that anyone knows of to fix this or is there a problem with my laptop?

Mulreay

OK first welcome to computer hope.

• Is it running on battery or power cable when it does this?
    • What exactly happens are there any messages?
    • When you reboot does it just say windows did not shut down properly?
    What are you using to change these settings, please provide a list of the steps you took.
     :)

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
When you adjust the brightness of the screen are you using your Fn keys on the keyboard or are you going through the power settings in the software?
Evil is an exact science.

Mulreay

When you adjust the brightness of the screen are you using your Fn keys on the keyboard or are you going through the power settings in the software?

What are you using to change these settings, please provide a list of the steps you took.
 :)

I did ask! heh  ;)