Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Application cannot be executed. the file ** is infected.  (Read 3662 times)

drummermaniac

Application cannot be executed. the file ** is infected.
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:12:45 AM »
Hi, I'm having a virus problem on my computer, I am constantly receiving a pop-up which reads:

"Application cannot be executed. The file wuauclt.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?"

Whenever I run my antivirus, a demo for Windows Live antivirus runs. It won't let me delete the material it finds without spending $50 on the software. I cannot uninstall the program or shut it down because the "Add & Remove Programs" program is blocked and I receive the same message as above. I cannot access the internet because the antivirus demo blocks me from accessing the internet, stating the internet could be "infected". I cannot access any programs or install any free antivirus programs (by using .exe files) without them being blocked.

What can I do do get rid of this?? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Application cannot be executed. the file ** is infected.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:51:02 AM »
Download a boot time anti virus scanner (pick one: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS304US305&ei=WHFCS-DZLMW8lAeTsP2fBw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAYQBSgA&q=download+boot+time+av+scanner&spell=1). Burn it to a cd and put the cd in the infected computer. Make sure the cd is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the cd and run the scan.

or

Hello and welcome to Computer Hope Forum. The first thing I will need you to do is to go to this  http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html and follow the directions precisely. If you can't access the internet with your infected computer you will have to download and transfer any programs to the computer you're using now and transfer them to the infected computer with a CD-RW or a USB storage device. I prefer a CD because a storage device can get infected. If you use a storage device hold the shift key down while inserting the USB storage device for about 10 secs. You will also have to transfer the logs you receive back to the good computer using the same method until we can get the computer back on-line. If you can't run any step, just jump to the next one. Please let me know how you are doing or have any questions. Initially, We will need the SuperAntiSpyware, MBAM and HJT logs. Please post any logs that you can generate.