Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer shuts down unexpectedly, asks if i want to save settings first  (Read 3227 times)

tdooris197

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I am running Windows XP on a Gateway laptop.  I just started having this problem yesterday and I've searched all the forums and haven't found an answer. 

Approximately five minutes after starting up the computer unexpectedly shuts down.  I don't think it's an overheating issue because when I'm in firefox it asks if I want to save the settings or close all tabs.  It gives me that option for about 3 seconds and then shuts everything down.  I tried running AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy to see if I had some problem but to no avail.  I also tried system restore to an earlier date and I thought that fixed the problem.  The computer was working for a good 45 mins or so but then shut down unexpectedly again.  Since then it's been shutting down every 4-5 mins.  I'm in safe mode right now hoping it doesn't shut down before I finish typing this.  If you have any ideas please let me know!  Thanks!

jkolak

Hopeful
      Re: computer shuts down unexpectedly, asks if i want to save settings first
      « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 04:42:47 AM »
      Are you running on battery or AC power? When running battery only the computer will shut down when battery power is too low. If the battery is old, it can show fully charged, yet still only have an up time of a few minutes.

tdooris197

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:34:40 AM »
        I'm running on AC power.  I think I solved the problem.  I went into gpedit.msc and made it so that no one is allowed to shut down.  This means that I have to do a harsh shut down everytime I want to shut down but it has temporarily solved my problem.  Maybe not the best solution but one that works for me for the time being...If anyone else has any ideas I'd love to hear them.  Thanks.

jkolak

Hopeful
          « Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 06:54:17 AM »
          You might look at the Event Viewer and see what process was shutting you down.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 06:56:39 AM »
          I'm running on AC power.  I think I solved the problem.  I went into gpedit.msc and made it so that no one is allowed to shut down.  This means that I have to do a harsh shut down everytime I want to shut down but it has temporarily solved my problem.  Maybe not the best solution but one that works for me for the time being...If anyone else has any ideas I'd love to hear them.  Thanks.
          That's a TERRIBLE solution. You did not say if you ran a full scan with your anti virus utility - you should do that now. Also run a scan with MalwareBytes. AdAware and Spybot are useless these days and if I were you I'd uninstall them and keep MalwareBytes.

tdooris197

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:18:42 AM »
            Ok I didn't realize they were obsolete.  I ran a full antivirus scan but haven't tried malwarebytes.  I appreciate the feedback I don't know that much about computers.  Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 08:32:53 AM »
            AdAware is absolutely obsolete. Spybot is simply no longer best of breed and not nearly as effective as MalwareBytes or SuperAntispyware.

tdooris197

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:04:46 AM »
              Ok I ran malwarebytes and it didn't find anything.  For now my temporary solution is working for me, if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.  Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 09:18:55 AM »
              Does the problem also occur in safe mode?

tdooris197

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 09:20:21 AM »
                In safe mode it is fine.

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 09:22:24 AM »
                Then it is either malware or something loading with your system.  The first thing I would do is head to the malware section of this forum and follow the instructions at the top of that page. I still believe your problem is caused by malware. If it turns out I'm wrong we can start disabling startup items - but I'd bet it's a trojan or virus.