Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cant find a display driver  (Read 3530 times)

free2ride14u

Topic Starter

Rookie

cant find a display driver
    « on: January 19, 2010, 08:56:58 AM »
    the machine is an EliteGroup Computer Systems model GQ3051 an it has a fresh install of windows 98. All the drivers have been updated with the exception of the display driver. I cannot seem to find it anywhere and Ive spent hours online trying. When it boots up I get the error message "msing.dll file"  file is missing or too old. What do I do? I have tried the computer manufacturer, the motherboard manufacturer, and microsoft, cnet downloads, etc

jkolak

Hopeful
      Re: cant find a display driver
      « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:17:52 AM »
      try ma-config.com

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 09:21:01 AM »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jkolak

Hopeful
        « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »
        I found it quite convenient. It automatically detects your hardware and offers links to the latest drivers. It only steered me wrong once with a link to a sound card that uses my onboard chip, but doesn't work with the onboard version.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 01:52:39 PM »
        I actually gave that site a shot and it gave me really decent results :)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 04:05:56 PM »
        All my searches came up in French...not that there's anything wrong with that...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jkolak

Hopeful
          « Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 09:08:14 PM »
          I think there is a glitch. I'm sorry I was too lazy to post a clickable link:

http://www.ma-config.com/

There is a language toggle button for English and French at the upper right corner, but it's already set to English by default. (These are French developers). But if you look at the text, it's all in English except for the center of the page on the News section. But just above that, you see the Large text and the very large buttons:

Explore your PC very easily.
          Identify in a few seconds the hardware and software components of your computer

Start the detection
          Find the drivers
          Share my configuration
          Generating a signature
          Save as PDF
          Detect offline

The "Start the Detection" button is selected by default, then you click the large green button to the right, just above the selection buttons, "Run the detection".

It works kind of like the detection process at NVIDIA, scans the computer. Then you have to scroll down for the results. The first time I thought it didn't do anything. It was so fast and I didn't see the text below had changed from "News" to the scan results.

After you look at your hardware list, you progress to the next step by clicking the large "Find the Drivers" button. Then scroll down again for the list of available drivers. It lists what version and date is currently installed, and then lists the version and dates of suggested drivers. I had to watch that carefully because it offered drivers with newer signature dates, but older version numbers. I think that is a natural consequence of an automated system, but I was able to find newer versions of some of my drivers than what I could find by Google.