Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BSOD loop after trying to reboot in safe mode/now stuck.  (Read 2972 times)

blacksheep555

Topic Starter

Rookie
    BSOD loop after trying to reboot in safe mode/now stuck.
    « on: January 22, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »
    Can I use a Dell Reinstallation CD w/ service pack 1a. to repair an HP w/ service pack 3?    Will it allow me to open windows as long as all I'm trying to do is repair the drive and not reinstall it?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: BSOD loop after trying to reboot in safe mode/now stuck.
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »
    Open Windows? You may be able to use it to get to the Repair Console, but that's it. Why don't you tell us what's going on?

blacksheep555

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:10:22 PM »
      I am working with an HP pavilion a1430n    CPU TYPE: AMD ATHLON(tm) 64 x2
           DUAL CORE processor 3800+
           CPU SPEED 2000 MHz
           CPU L1 CACHE SIZE 128Kb x2
           CPU L2 CACHE SIZE 512Kb x2
           ONBOARD VIDEO MEMORY SIZE [64M]
      Started with Internet Security 2010 virus. I attempted to reboot computer in safe mode by entering Run:\msconfig
      and checking safeboot in the boot.ini file. That was a HUGE mistake. If I would have found this site a little sooner I probably could have nipped this in the bud, nevertheless, I'm stuck in THE LOOP. I have, I believe, the same stop code as many others:
           STOP: 0X00000050 (0XF7F2E044, 0X00000001, 0X80537009, 0X00000000)

I have been able to run CHKDSK /R it came up with 1 prob, sorry, I didn,t see a code for it. It made no difference, it did not resolve.

Yes!!! I just ran a nondestructive recovery and it says it's successful!!! I'm waiting to see if windows starts.

blacksheep555

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 06:53:35 PM »
        Recovered windows-still have programs that were installed before (AVG, MALWAREBYTES, ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE, etc.) but cannot find any saved user docs. Are they lost, or is there a way to search for them? I don't understand why I have programs but not documents.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 07:13:08 PM »
        Did it create a Windows.old folder ? ?
        Have you checked Documents and Settings for your old user name ? ?

I've never seen an OEM CD from 1 manuf. work on another manuf. machine so i have no clue what it may have done.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

blacksheep555

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 02:40:49 AM »
          No I performed a non-destructive recovery (or so I was led to believe), with the built-in recovery drive. Only, it wiped it clean and left only desktop shortcuts to the previous installed programs. Oh well, have a brand new computer now. I will finish here and follow-up with virus and malware protection, as, this thing seems to be loaded with crap before I even have a chance to get protection installed.

Thanks guys, I thought I had it, at least the OS was salvaged.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 07:54:06 AM »
          No doubt you are probably missing some drivers as you used a Dell CD to restore an HP...
          Double check in Device Manager.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 08:26:43 AM »
          If you are still booting to the original OS you almost certainly still have the same malware problem. A non-destructive recovery (whatever that is ;) ) would not eradicate the existing virus. And I'm with patio - I'm not certain exactly what you did.

blacksheep555

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »
            I did not use the dell install disk. I was asking if I could earlier, but I didn't. I went through the F10 function at the BIOS screen and did a recovery, which the system said would safely recover users documents and settings. Once the system rebooted however, there are only fragments of files, ie: a photo used as administrator icon, desktop shortcuts (only) with no actual program files. All actual photos and My Documents are empty and at factory default (sample photos).
                If there is some way to retrieve these (lost) photos and documents from the point I am at now, that would be great [I don't know if there may be some retrieval program to do this], but I'm not expecting to be able to get them back. I've searched all the related files I could find with my limited familiarity, so now, I'm focusing my efforts on cleaning out all the factory installed crap that came on this computer.
                 I am having some problems deleting some of those files/ not all are found in Add-Remove Programs, they seem to be hidden. How do I completely remove these programs that have been factory installed when they're not in Add-Remove Programs? Or, should this question be posted as a new topic?
                 In summary, I am assuming I am left with a newly restored computer, so, I'll remain satisfied that at least it has been recovered. All log files requested for virus removal have been submitted in my topic in the virus and maleware section of this forum.
                 Thank You guys, again, I realize how difficult it can be to understand what's going on, sometimes, when people, such as myself, aren't clear on what has been done, or use wrong terminology. THANX AGAIN.