Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Express "Compact Messages" Window; How to Disable?  (Read 3853 times)

program not responding

Topic Starter

Beginner

Outlook Express "Compact Messages" Window; How to Disable?
    « on: January 23, 2010, 08:53:39 PM »
    Dear Forum,
    I have a very annoying message that comes up numerous times a day. It says:

To free up disc space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may take up to a few minutes

I can't find how to disable it. The help section does not have anything about the auto message. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot!!!

Sincerely,
    Mike
     ;)

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Outlook Express "Compact Messages" Window; How to Disable?
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 11:20:06 PM »
    In Outlook Express. Click on Tool>Options>advanced tab>look for "maintenance" at the bottom.

program not responding

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 01:05:31 AM »
      Thanks, but the maintenance tab doesn't have anything about the automatic message.
      Best regards,
      Mike
       :-\

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 01:55:12 AM »
      I'm sorry for the bad information. There is actually no way to stop compacting messages in Outlook Express after XP SP2 it seems. I have Vista with Windows Mail and they put the option back in on it and that's where I was looking. Your computer shouldn't be doing it multiple times a day though. It should only compact every 100 times that you open and close Outlook Express. If it is auto compacting more times than that there something wrong in your registry. Are you allowing it to complete the compacting before shutting down your computer? When compacting it's best to have all programs closed.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:20:58 AM »
      Are you allowing it to complete the compacting before shutting down your computer?
      I suspect he's not allowing it to compact, which is why he sees the message over and over. 

Mike, let OE do the compacting.  Then, you won't see that message until it has been opened and closed another 100 times. Compacting is a good thing, so let it happen.