Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor not turning on  (Read 3024 times)

Huffy

Monitor not turning on
« on: January 26, 2010, 08:39:19 AM »
I started up my PC and noticed the monitor was turning on later than it usually does. Usually it turns on as soon as I turn on the power, but this time it would turn on just as it logged on to Windows (so after the XP loading screen). Then when it finally turned on, I could not see all of my desktop. The bottom left hand corner of my desktop was taken up by the whole screen. If I moved the mouse then it would scroll in whichever direction I moved the mouse, revealing more of my desktop. But I could still only see 25% of my desktop at all times. I tried changing the resolution but it did not work so I thought I'd try a system restore. I restored it to before I installed my graphics card drivers (probably a bad idea, but there were only a few restore points since I only recently formatted the PC). When the computer reset the monitor would not turn on at all. I've left it for hours but it hasn't done anything. Everything else works though, because I can hear the windows start up sound and my mouse lights up.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is my graphics card screwed or something? I only just recently built this computer so I would hate for that to be the problem.

Here are my specs:
Windows XP Home
i7 920
ATI 1gb 5870
6gb ram
ex58-ud3r
Antec 750w PSU

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Monitor not turning on
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:46:31 AM »
Hello,

It sounds like you may have your resolution set higher than the monitor can handle. Try turning down resolution by right clicking on desktop then properties and turning the resolution down in your display settings. You should also be able to do this through the ATI Catalyst control panel if you have it installed.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Monitor not turning on
    « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »
    giardmi09, Gonna be difficult to perform your suggestion when the O/P has NO monitor.truenorth