Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recovery discs for windows XP (emachines) wont recover!  (Read 3268 times)

doddsyy2k

Topic Starter

Recovery discs for windows XP (emachines) wont recover!
    « on: February 01, 2010, 09:51:54 AM »
    Hello there. ive had my emachines E4076 (windows xp, media centre edition version 2002) for around 3 years. It became cluttered and VERY slow so im deciding to use the recovery disks and reinstall the operating system and clearing all personal files.

I used the operating system disk and rebooted. I got to the menus which asked for disc one of the 2 disc recovery disks i burnt when i first got the pc. this started the recovery process. It then asked for the second disc and continued. at around 50% it then said instalation incomplete please insert disc one . I did and it repeated the process. This went on 8 or 9 times so there is obviously a problem so i quit and restarted.

my C: drive is exactly the same as it was before. no problem BUT now the recovery drive D: has a changed icon (it is now a black chip image and when i open this drive i am presented with 2 files. System restore and a file called PROD which has no icon and is 1kb in size.

added: Details
    RECOVERY(D:)
    Local disk
    File system FAT32
    Free space 2.31 gb
    Total size 4.65 gb

any advice on re-installing?  ???
    « Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:20:54 AM by doddsyy2k »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Recovery discs for windows XP (emachines) wont recover!
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:09:37 AM »
    You could try borrowing an MS XP CD...as long as the versions match and you have a liscense key for the machine this is perfectly legal...
    The 2 reasons this may be happening would be dirty CD's and/or a failing CD drive...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

doddsyy2k

Topic Starter

Re: Recovery discs for windows XP (emachines) wont recover!
      « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:16:46 AM »
      You could try borrowing an MS XP CD...as long as the versions match and you have a liscense key for the machine this is perfectly legal...
      The 2 reasons this may be happening would be dirty CD's and/or a failing CD drive...

Maybe a failing drive (yet i can burn and play disks without a hitch) and the CDs are perfect. they were burnt around 3 years ago and kept in a case unopened and safe until a few days back. Looks like ill have to try and track down a XP media centre edition disk

Any more advice from peeps would be great! :)