Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which sound card? Advice please!  (Read 3156 times)

neilrnld

Topic Starter

Starter

Which sound card? Advice please!
    « on: February 01, 2010, 04:21:16 PM »
    I have been happily and successfully making money running a Creative soundblaster Audigy4 Pro for 2 years in my home studio to record voiceovers, audio newsletters, etc.  A couple of months ago I downloaded a recommended driver update from Creative and now nothing works.  Grrr. Creative are no help (my card is out of warranty and they have made it quite clear that they are not interested in my plight) and I do not want to buy another of their products. I need a new card, and my needs are pretty basic ... full duplexing is required, otherwise just one mic- voice only.  I am running XP SP2 and I would appreciate any recommendations you may have.
    Thank you
    Neil R

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Which sound card? Advice please!
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 04:34:15 PM »
    Others will be along shortly with some recommendations...
    In the meantime why not just revert back to the original drivers ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

neilrnld

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 04:39:32 PM »
      I have tried everything I can think of. Restoring to earlier time, uninstalling and reinstalling ... nothing worked.  I have had to use Revo uninstaller to get rid of the software and the card is now litter on my desk (it is for sale, cheap, if anyone wants it!). The major prob is that my income is now severely affected and I have to replace the card soon.
      Regards

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 04:52:47 PM »
      Remove all software related to the card in Add/Remove software...
      Power down.
      Physically remove the card.
      Do a few cold boots.
      Re-install the card...re-boot and when it asks for the drivers direct it to the driver CD that shipped with the card.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Eric1611

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 06:54:54 AM »
        Hello,if you make money from your soundcard it is nice to spend a bit more...I run a M-Audio 2626 together with Pro-Tools and find that the best combination for the money...A lot of the better cards have programs allready installed on or together with the card...Like Ableton,Pro-Tools,Reason ect. ect. It`s nice because you get a "lite" version FOR FREE and if you like the program(D.A.W. Digital Audio Workstation)you can upgrade to the full version...(At a cost)...But the nice thing is that where you seem to use it for you only need the lite version...
        If I were you I would buy some good magazines read a lot on what`s out there and go to a GOOD shop...I must warn you if you WANT you can get carried away with D.A.W.`s  :)(You can go as far/expensive as you want...
        I wish you all the best and good luck:Eric....

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]
        Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the government what they want - and their kids pay for it.
        Richard Lamm.

Crosshair

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 12:34:20 PM »
          If you can't fix the issue, end up needing a new card and want to stay away from Creative's hit and miss drivers (great when they work but very frustrating when they don't as you have found out) I'd recommend an Asus Xonar card.  Many flavours are available in both PCI and PCI-E interface versions with varying features etc, the basic DS model is a good budget choice.
          I don't use my PC for professional audio or any recording other than a microphone for voice chat so I don't know what's good and bad for recording features if I'm honest, but just thought I would throw the suggestion in there, something to look into at least :)
          Yes.  A female geek.  How surprising.

neilrnld

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »
            Thank you guys.
            I really appreciate your responses. I particularly resonate with comments about Creative's 'hit and miss' approach.
            Undoubtedly they make great products, but the experience I have had with an out-of-warranty issue simply turns me off them forever. I am a salesman, and I learned long ago that after-sales service is critical to the ongoing success of any business. Creative have failed me, and I will let everyone know how they treated my questions with total disdain.
            I will now spend some time following up on your suggestions. My busy season begins in two weeks and I am confident that I will be ready.
            Thanks again
             :)

Eric1611

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:08:41 AM »
              I am no big fan also...A lot of show and no things you really need...

All the best,I hope you find what you need !!!

P.S:I do KNOW you can get a very nice card(perfect for allmost everything)for around $150.-...AND if you look around you get the software for free !!!

Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the government what they want - and their kids pay for it.
              Richard Lamm.

Crosshair

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »
                Thank you guys. and girls  ;D
                I really appreciate your responses. I particularly resonate with comments about Creative's 'hit and miss' approach.
                Undoubtedly they make great products, but the experience I have had with an out-of-warranty issue simply turns me off them forever. I am a salesman, and I learned long ago that after-sales service is critical to the ongoing success of any business. Creative have failed me, and I will let everyone know how they treated my questions with total disdain.
                I will now spend some time following up on your suggestions. My busy season begins in two weeks and I am confident that I will be ready.
                Thanks again
                 :)

You're welcome on my part, hope you find what you're looking for and that it works out for you.
                I agree that after-sales support is vital to any company's success past the short term, I've certainly not been impressed with Creative's support myself although I do like their products (when they work).
                Yes.  A female geek.  How surprising.

Eric1611

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 12:59:31 PM »
                  Hello,I know what Creative has to offer.I just want to say that if you go to a GOOD store(One where they REALLY know what they are talking about,NOT a pure computerstore but a shop that`s tailord more towards digital musicstudios ect.ect. !!!)they would find a card that fits your needs...
                  I`m certain the card you would get will make your work MUCH more easy...AND (If you want !!!) open a new world of possebilities.....I have a home-studio and know a bit about soundcards,I just hope you give it a try...(I have had maybe 7 or 8 different cards,I started my homestudio because of a Creative-card.).
                  Forgive my English,I`m Dutch.....

Wish you all the best,greetings from Amsterdam:Eric............

P.S.:Give REAPER(Free on the web) a try\look or Ableton......Good luck... :)

Richard Lamm.