Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Macrium Reflect.  (Read 2909 times)

kelly1

Topic Starter

Rookie

Macrium Reflect.
    « on: February 02, 2010, 12:26:14 AM »
    I'm looking to use the Macrium Reflect product (free version) for backing up my computer, I just have a few questions to ask before I get too involved in the process.

Question one. can I use 700mb CD-RWs to save to ? if so, how many would I need ?

Question two. when it comes time to reinstall using Macrium Reflect, do I no longer use the 10 CD-RWs the tech support helped me to make when I first bought the computer ?  as well the CD-RWs I've made more recently wouldn't be required either, right ?

My computer: Compaq Presario SR1500NX. Windows Version 2002. 3rd SP.

Thanks in advance.

Kelly.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Macrium Reflect.
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 05:40:51 AM »
    Question one. can I use 700mb CD-RWs to save to ? if so, how many would I need ?

Yes. No way for us to know - depends on the size of the drive or partition

Question two. when it comes time to reinstall using Macrium Reflect, do I no longer use the 10 CD-RWs the tech support helped me to make when I first bought the computer ?  as well the CD-RWs I've made more recently wouldn't be required either, right ?

Correct

By the way, the easiest way to create and store images is on a second HD (either internal or external).

kelly1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:04:17 AM »
      Thanks Allan. I'm not sure if this helps but I checked my disc space, it says capacity 68.76 GB and free space 49.97 GB. until I have my external HD would 24 x 700MB CD-RWs be enough ? 

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 07:18:05 AM »
      I'd think it's more than enough. The image will be compressed.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 09:50:22 AM »
      Personally I would not use RW disks for important system backups. If I had a DVD burner I would use DVD size media, (If I did not I would buy one, considering how cheap they are!) I would use good quality R disks and verify after burn, I would not burn at my burner's max speed, and I would keep them SAFE. In a jewel case in a cool dark place. Imagine the pain if disk 24 of 24 would not read...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:33:13 AM by Salmon Trout »

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 10:21:23 AM »
      Good point ST. If there's one set of discs you want to work when you need it, this would be it. I'd still suggest an investment in a second drive though (internal or external).

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 10:32:58 AM »
      While i agree an external/secondary drive is more convenient all drives fail...eventually.
      Nothing beats a good verified image backed up to CD/DVD media...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 10:36:39 AM »
      There is a price point that has not arrived yet when I shall buy a 32 GB pen drive.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »
      While i agree an external/secondary drive is more convenient all drives fail...eventually.
      Nothing beats a good verified image backed up to CD/DVD media...
      Okay, here's my problem with that. If you're only doing one set, then I agree. But creating a dozen or so cd's is something most of us will not do on a regular basis, and one of the great advantages of imaging software is the ability to quickly create current backups (on hd's, that is). Additionally, cd's can get scratched or marred no matter how carefully we intend to handle them. On the other hand, if you're talking about one "core" backup to which the user can always return, I couldn't agree with you more.