Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help with cleaning laptop  (Read 1753 times)

joey939

Topic Starter

help with cleaning laptop
    « on: February 05, 2010, 06:35:41 AM »
    Hi, I have a gaming laptop but it has been running slower than usual lately. I know it's not a virus because I just recently re-installed the os and I have anti-virus and firewall installed before accessing the internet. I don't know exactly what's wrong with the computer but I read an article online that said I should be cleaning it yearly to prevent dust build up in my heatsink. A particular example of the differences in preformance between my computer when I just got it and my computer at present is the inability to play games at 1270X840, instead I have to lower the screen resolution to around 1024X720(not sure if the measurements are right on, but their close to those numbers). Also, I notice when my computer is on, a large amount of heat (kind of like a radiator) comes from the vent.
    Pc specs:
    4gb ram
    intel dual core 2ghz proccesor
    nvidia geforce 7000

Juice217

Beginner

• I hope you don't hate your computer as much as me.
      Re: help with cleaning laptop
      « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:47:38 AM »
      Overheating, you may need to find a program to keep the fan running properly, Or, if it is a serious case, the fan may be jammed or broken, in which you may need a new one

Eric1611

Beginner

Re: help with cleaning laptop
        « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 10:31:08 AM »
        Do you have the (Free-ware) program:"CPUID"????
        If you run this you can see if all is right (If the hardware is programed allright)...
        But there are many programs to test your computer hard\soft-ware...
        I ALLWAYS clean my computer once every 5-6 months...The fan pulls a lot of "dirty" air into your computer,this tends to build up in\near your vent-holes....
        Clean with a anti-static brush...And if you don`t know what you are doing bring it to a good computer-store....

GOOD LUCK:Eric....................

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]
        Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the government what they want - and their kids pay for it.
        Richard Lamm.