Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PSU died need help getting new one  (Read 2576 times)

JOEVSYOU

Topic Starter

Rookie

PSU died need help getting new one
    « on: February 05, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »
    First thing I'm no corrupter whiz but I'm no idiot with computers just put that out there

OK well week ago my PSU died on me. So i took it best buy and did the test since i wasn't sure and the guy said it was PSU. so i just looked up how to replace it looks easy enough so i took it out to see the stats on it so i can find out what to buy and replace myself.

So really my question is what's a PSU i can buy at a decent price or what do i need look at when deciding one? because the stats on the PSU i really don't understand what they mean and what to look at. Also reading about old computer have 20 pin connector plus 4 and new PCs has one 24 not sure what all that means. But on my PSU it has 1 (20 pin) has hook lock on it, 1 (4 pin) that is a square also had lock on it,  4 (big 4 pins) 1 (small 4 pins)

here is the model i have now HP-A2027F3

http://www.impactcomputers.com/hp-a2027f3.html

I don't plan on upgrading my PC anytime soon unless i need to. i don't do really do big games on it besides few web games and i just use it to surf the web and type up papers for school. So i don't need a end of the line PSU just need one to meet my needs and last a while just like my last one

Thanks for reading and  to whoever decides to help me

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: PSU died need help getting new one
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »
    According to this website: http://www.justpowersupplies.com/hipro-HP-A2027F3-power-supply.htm you cannot replace this power supply with a normal ATX PSU because the original one is shortened to fit. I would recommend buying the same exact one that you have already. Just to be certain that it will fit and work correctly.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:05:21 PM »
    ...So i took it best buy and did the test since i wasn't sure and the guy said it was PSU...
    Just because the guy at Best Buy says it's the PSU means nothing.  You might want to tell us exactly what happened.

JOEVSYOU

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:23:25 PM »
      Just because the guy at Best Buy says it's the PSU means nothing.  You might want to tell us exactly what happened.

all last year the computer randomly shuts off  and i sometimes i had unplug the power cable to make it turn on. but never care to get it fixed then the day before it happened it did what it was doing over the year like 5 times short about time. when i got home next day when i try turn it on. the light in front turned on for a sec turns right off.  so i unplugged it from back plugged in green light in back turn it off turned right off on its own and the green light was off in back. i did this for a good 10 mins but no luck staying on.

i could two different shops described my problem they it could be power supply so i took it up best buy the tech guy their took it in back for like 10-15 mins and he said the same thing.

JOEVSYOU

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »
        According to this website: http://www.justpowersupplies.com/hipro-HP-A2027F3-power-supply.htm you cannot replace this power supply with a normal ATX PSU because the original one is shortened to fit. I would recommend buying the same exact one that you have already. Just to be certain that it will fit and work correctly.

it would make my life easier just buy same one since it work for about 8 years and not like i be upgrading anytime soon

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 02:38:57 PM »
        Since you took it to 2 different shops besides BestBuy and all say the same, I, too, believe it's the PSU.  Spending $60 on an 8-year old computer is okay, just not worth spending much more, because new computers are priced so low.  I'm thinking it might just be a micro-ATX power supply, which you can find locally.  Remove the old PSU and take it to the computer shops to match it up.