Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected  (Read 2429 times)

PDXpilot

Two months ago I had trouble booting into Windows XP.  After much troubleshooting I decided it was time to simply start from scratch and reinstall the OS.  I purchased Windows 7 and installed it (along with a new motherboard to expand my options with peripherals).  Long story short, it worked fine for two months.  This two days ago I got the "Select proper Boot device..." message.  I have three hard drives in my computer (all SATA).  The primary drive is for software only... no personal files.  The second drive is my primary storage drive.  The third drive is a mirrored backup of the storage drive.  When I unplug the storage drives Windows boots right up without altering any BIOS settings.  The problem is persistent.  Each time I reboot it's the same thing.  If all three drives are plugged in, it won't boot to Windows.  If I unplug the other two drives, it boots just fine but I'm minus my data. 

Any thoughts?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
Yes, happens to me all the time.   :-[
Check your BIOS options.
My BIOS lets me pick the boot device...
IF I hit the F8 key bbefore Windows catches it.