Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Building a Custom Cyberpower PC (Lots of Questions)  (Read 3252 times)

HollowNobody

Building a Custom Cyberpower PC (Lots of Questions)
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
If you've seen me on here before it's probably because I was whining about how my computer would never boot correctly. Well, I've decided to replace it. It's well past it's prime.

So I couldn't find a pre-made(I suppose you'd call it that) computer that was anywhere close to being as gamer friendly as my current one without it costing thousands of dollars. Then I stumbled upon Cyberpower's site and found that I could custom-make one that didn't cost quite as much as one of the pre-made ones.
(Which I find sorta surprising, maybe I messed up somewhere...)

Here's the result I got using a Gamer Ultra 7500:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saving/show.aspx?id=2444459
(If this link doesn't work then check the system.txt file attached to this post.)

Now I am rather ignorant when it comes to what hardware matches up with what, so I wanted to have someone with more experience tell me if I've managed to build a working desktop or not.

I guess the first question would be does that desktop configuration work?

Also as you can see from the link(or file) I put in a nVIDIA 9800GT graphics card along with a SLI enabled mobo. I already have a 9800gt in my computer I'm using at the moment, so...

Will two nVIDIA 9800GTs work together in SLI mode?

Will they fit onto the mobo I chose together?

(I ask this because the card I have right now barely fits into my current computer by itself. It's a rather bulky card.)

If I run two nVIDIA 9800GTs together how large of a power supply will I need?

(My one card runs fine on a 450watt PSU, so I assume it would double up to 900watts?)

I'm currently running WinXP Pro so I chose to go with Win7 Pro as an OS.
It came with two different options 32 and 64-bit.

What's the difference between a 32-bit and 64-bit edition of Windows 7?

Since I'm transitioning straight from XP to 7 will I have problems getting games and other programs that I currently use to work with the new OS?
(By that I mainly mean will I still be able to play lower than XP games [ex.Win98 games] on Windows 7?)

Also any other information that you could provide would be helpful.  :)

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]

Crosshair

Rookie

Re: Building a Custom Cyberpower PC (Lots of Questions)
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 03:56:54 AM »
    My first thought on reading the system.txt file is that the PSU is extremely bad quality and should be avoided at all costs.
    My second is that the motherboard isn't a great choice.  Yes, it will support SLI with the two 9800GTs, however I've always found Nvidia chipset based boards to be far inferior to AMD or Intel chipset boards in terms of performance and reliability.
    Third, the case is also bad quality (leaving aside aesthetics considerations as everyone will have a different opinion on whether or not it looks nice).

As for your other questions - two 9800GTs would, assuming a midrange system to match the cards, require a quality 500W PSU or better.  The 450W recommendation you quoted is most likely from the board manufacturer or Nvidia themselves - they recommend a higher wattage than necessary.  A 9800GT would be fine on a quality 300W PSU although I'd recommend more, however it wouldn't work with, for example. a low quality 500W PSU.
    Compare the different features of the Windows 7 editions before choosing one.  Most people do not need the Professional edition - check this link to see what additional features it has over the usual choice of Home Premium.

64-bit vs 32-bit - I have a hard time recommending anyone to buy the 32 bit version nowadays.  Put simply, 64-bit supports more RAM and if you run any 64 bit applications it will run them faster.  The downside is that some older hardware and software will not be compatible, so just check to make sure drivers are available.

That last does touch on your last question - older games may not work well on Windows 7.  Running them in compatibility mode might help, but I'd be inclined to check around and see what anyone else's experiences are with those games in 7.

Hope this helps :)
    Yes.  A female geek.  How surprising.

James1431997

Beginner

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 04:06:42 AM »
    Though, If your running 7 Pro or Ultimate you can download "XP mode" from the Microsoft website. My mate said he can run 32bit applications in that despite the fact he's 64bit.

Crosshair

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 04:52:28 AM »
      Though, If your running 7 Pro or Ultimate you can download "XP mode" from the Microsoft website. My mate said he can run 32bit applications in that despite the fact he's 64bit.
      32 bit applications will run in a 64 bit OS, no problem.
      However that does remind me, XP Mode is a Professional/Ultimate only feature, it's not present in Basic or Home Premium, so to run older applications which won't run in 7 for some reason you could use that (XP Mode), if you have a valid XP license for it.  Unfortunately it's no good for games though, so don't assume that this will mean you can run all your old games etc in Windows 7.

James1431997

Beginner

• Yes
      « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 05:38:09 AM »
      32 bit applications will run in a 64 bit OS, no problem
      Some tools, In my experience are not compatibale.

Crosshair

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 05:59:27 AM »
        There are rare exceptions, yes.  I may have misunderstood your post, I took it to mean you were saying that no 32 bit applications will run on a 64 bit OS.
        My mate said he can run 32bit applications in that despite the fact he's 64bit.
        Apologies if this was misconstrued :)

James1431997

Beginner

• Yes
        « Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 06:14:14 AM »
        There are rare exceptions, yes.  I may have misunderstood your post, I took it to mean you were saying that no 32 bit applications will run on a 64 bit OS.Apologies if this was misconstrued :)
        My Apologies, I didn't word my answer particularly well.
          Unfortunately it's no good for games though, so don't assume that this will mean you can run all your old games etc in Windows 7.
        Agreed. Perhaps if you have an XP license you could have a dual boot set up. It's not that practical, but you could game better in that than in a Virtual machine
        Running them in compatibility mode might help, but I'd be inclined to check around and see what anyone else's experiences are with those games in 7.
        In my experience, Compatability mode has been touch and go. I ran one of my dad's video editing apps in xp compat. mode and the performance was drastically worse than on the computer actually running xp. That could be an error on my part or just compatability mode being poor. This is what 7 says when you open an app in compatability mode
        ***.exe has been set to run in compatability mode for an earlier version of windows. For best results, turn of compatability mode for ***.exe before you open it. (*** meaning app name. Itunes, btw.)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 06:18:30 AM »

Not all CPU's will run XP Mode.

More Info...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

James1431997

Beginner

• Yes
        « Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 06:28:31 AM »
        Not all CPU's will run XP Mode.

More Info...
        Indeed. His, however should acording to this from Tom's Hardware Guide (and indeed AMD)
        AMD AthlonTII X2 245 Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
        (His CPU acording to the system.txt file he uploaded earlier and the website) should.
            “With the exceptions of Sempron-branded processors and Turion K8 Rev E processors, all notebook processors shipped by AMD include AMD-V and therefore support Windows 7 XP mode."

"With the exceptions of Sempron-branded processors and pre-Rev F Athlon branded processors, all of the desktop processors shipped by AMD include AMD-V and therefore support Windows 7 in XP mode."

"Also, all AMD Opteron processors shipped by AMD from Rev F forward include AMD-V."
        http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-cpu-windows-xp-mode,7739.html

HollowNobody

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 02:38:40 PM »
        Ah, so much to respond to...guess I'll just go in order.

My first thought on reading the system.txt file is that the PSU is extremely bad quality and should be avoided at all costs.
        Oh, that bad..., well I'm not quite sure how to go about looking for a PSU of good quality. My current one, the 450 watt, is a Logisys(good quality?). Is it possible that I could just stick with that one or would it be better to go ahead and find one with a higher wattage?

My second is that the motherboard isn't a great choice.  Yes, it will support SLI with the two 9800GTs, however I've always found Nvidia chipset based boards to be far inferior to AMD or Intel chipset boards in terms of performance and reliability.
        I honestly just chose the nVIDIA chipset because it was listed as SLI ready. I've been using an Intel for the past 6 years.

Alright, which AMD mobo will work with the SLI feature(I'm pretty determined to have the two cards)?
        On the Cyberpower site there are only two mobos listed as SLI ready and both of them have nVIDIA chipsets.
        (I've attached a list of the available mobos to this post.)

Third, the case is also bad quality (leaving aside aesthetics considerations as everyone will have a different opinion on whether or not it looks nice).
        The red lights were so pretty, but I'd rather have a quality case than an aesthetically pleasing one.
        So a recommendation?

As for your other questions - two 9800GTs would, assuming a midrange system to match the cards, require a quality 500W PSU or better.  The 450W recommendation you quoted is most likely from the board manufacturer or Nvidia themselves - they recommend a higher wattage than necessary.  A 9800GT would be fine on a quality 300W PSU although I'd recommend more, however it wouldn't work with, for example. a low quality 500W PSU.
        Ah, so I only need to meet the power requirement of one card to run two. I had my current computer custom made by a local repair shop and the 450 watt psu was just what they had on hand at the time. That's how ended up with it.

Compare the different features of the Windows 7 editions before choosing one.  Most people do not need the Professional edition - check this link to see what additional features it has over the usual choice of Home Premium.
        Looking at the two compared I'm still leaning toward the Pro.
        (That XP compatibility mode is really what's pulling me over. I have a lot of things, not just games, that were meant to be run on XP. Some of my stuff is even Win98.)
        However, you must understand that I have never actually used a Win7 computer. So when I compare the two versions of it I'm thinking in terms of the differences between XP Home and XP Pro. I'm referring mainly to the administrative rights that drove me insane when I had  XP Home. It might have just been the computer I had at that time though.

That last does touch on your last question - older games may not work well on Windows 7.  Running them in compatibility mode might help, but I'd be inclined to check around and see what anyone else's experiences are with those games in 7.
        Okay, the oldest games I think I have are some Win95/98 games. There are about 10 of them.
        From what I could find out using google it seems like the XP mode can run some of them well. The only ones that I've seen some people having trouble with is my 7 game collection of the original The Sims.

Perhaps if you have an XP license you could have a dual boot set up.
        I am unfamiliar with dual booting and I don't have an XP license number at my disposal.
        Wait, would it be possible to just take my XP hard drive out of my current computer and hook it into the new one along with the Win7 one? Essentially two hard drives running separate operating systems.

Indeed. His, however should acording to this from Tom's Hardware Guide (and indeed AMD).
        Alright, so leave the CPU at what it is and it should be able to run the XP mode?

James1431997

Beginner

• Yes
        « Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
        I am unfamiliar with dual booting and I don't have an XP license number at my disposal.
        Wait, would it be possible to just take my XP hard drive out of my current computer and hook it into the new one along with the Win7 one? Essentially two hard drives running separate operating systems.
        Alright, so leave the CPU at what it is and it should be able to run the XP mode?
        I'm not sure, but it should. And it would save you the trouble of making a partition on your Hard Drive. Best check with someone more epxperienced about that.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »
        A hard drive with XP installed cannot simply be moved from one machine to another without issues...
        This is because when it's installed XP ties itself to the existing hardware...
        Most of the time this will fail.

What happened to your XP key ? ?

James1431997

Beginner

• Yes
        « Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »
        A hard drive with XP installed cannot simply be moved from one machine to another without issues...
        This is because when it's installed XP ties itself to the existing hardware...
        Most of the time this will fail.

What happened to your XP key ? ?
        Is there not a way to totally "untie" it.

Crosshair

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 12:08:05 PM »
          Oh, that bad..., well I'm not quite sure how to go about looking for a PSU of good quality. My current one, the 450 watt, is a Logisys(good quality?). Is it possible that I could just stick with that one or would it be better to go ahead and find one with a higher wattage?
          Logisys aren't great either but clearly the one you are using isn't that bad as it's still working :)
          Reliability is all about make/model - more specifically the original manufacturer of the PSU.  For your scenario I would pick a Corsair TX650, it's a great quality unit which leaves you some headroom for upgrades.

I honestly just chose the nVIDIA chipset because it was listed as SLI ready. I've been using an Intel for the past 6 years.

Alright, which AMD mobo will work with the SLI feature(I'm pretty determined to have the two cards)?
          On the Cyberpower site there are only two mobos listed as SLI ready and both of them have nVIDIA chipsets.
          (I've attached a list of the available mobos to this post.)
          On the AMD side, only Nvidia chipsets are SLI compatible unfortunately.  The list of boards doesn't seem to be attached to your post, but personally I don't deal with Nvidia chipsets so I wouldn't be able to make a recommendation.

The red lights were so pretty, but I'd rather have a quality case than an aesthetically pleasing one.
          So a recommendation?
          If you like the aesthetics there's no compelling reason not to go for it.  You won't be building the machine so it shouldn't affect you much personally.  A case is a choice based largely on personal taste, I'm not much into "bling bling" cases so I can't really recommend a flashy case for you although someone else may have some ideas.

Ah, so I only need to meet the power requirement of one card to run two.
          No no, that's not what I meant.  What I said was the "requirements" are overstated as they're based on low/average quality PSUs.

Hope this helps :)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 02:08:52 PM »
          Is there not a way to totally "untie" it.

Yes ...there are ways.