Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 7 keeps freezing  (Read 2526 times)

lonelyazncboie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

windows 7 keeps freezing
    « on: February 07, 2010, 11:28:26 PM »
    hey everyone,

i've been having a problem with my newly built computer freezing on me. it could happen at any time, but it usually happens when i'm playing a game in windowed mode and trying to multi-task by opening up firefox or MSN chat. it also happens occasionally when i'm just browsing youtube. when it freezes, the screen will always go black and/or it will have colored lines that look like | | | | | all over the screen. i checked my cpu and gpu temperature which both seem to be fine. while playing games, both stay under 50. i don't believe it's a virus because i had this issue about the 2nd day after building the computer, although it seems like it's been freezing more often now.

edit----

specs: ASUS m4a79xtd evo motherboard, amd phenom II x4 955 processor, ATI radeon hd 5700 series, corsair xms3 ddr3 4g, windows 7 64bit

please let me know if there is any other information anyone would like me to post. any help would be much appreciated.
    « Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:50:33 PM by lonelyazncboie »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: windows 7 keeps freezing
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 12:04:50 PM »

This sounds like an issue with the graphics card or it's drivers. try updating and/or rolling back the drivers and if that fails you may need to replace the card.  :(
    « Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 12:20:34 PM by Fed »
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.