Software > BSD, Linux, and Unix

Choosing a Linux Distro

<< < (5/6) > >>

LinuxHelp123:
Surprisingly, I got Gentoo and Slackware! :)

Geek-9pm:

--- Quote from: Kanjen6289 on September 12, 2013, 10:22:29 PM ---People who are new to Linux are often confused by the large number of..   ... currently there are 367 distro released on the earth, errrgh.. that's sound confusing.

--- End quote ---
Awhile back one fast food firm offered 256 ways to make your hamburger. Then there is the choice of soft drinks... ice cream...fried veggies... Yet they still are in business.
You can always a search on whatever you want. And my analogy is by no means original... Look at this:
Linux and french fries -- a real happy meal

--- Quote ---French fries and Linux. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but it is a tasty combination for agribusiness J.R. Simplot Co.
--- End quote ---

ccamol:
It depends how you will use the computer. if you want a stable distro go for debian or ubuntu, but does because the updates is less than others like fedora that update more often. Or if you want you can go with arch linux, a very good light system, but have to deal with it a little more for get a good final system, but you decide what you want. i'll recommend you go with fedora, with it you good a very good distro, have the ultimates update and its stable and have the necessary to work with it.

Geek-9pm:
Ccamol,
This thread is near here years old. But that doesn't matter. Even Linux distors ten years old are still good.

You may enjoy this:
A Short History of Linux Distributions

--- Quote ---Back in late 1991, when Linux first hit the 'Net, there were no distributions per se. The closest thing was HJ Lu's Boot/Root floppies. They were 5.25" diskettes that could be used to get a Linux system running. You booted from the boot disk and then, when prompted, inserted the root disk. After a while you got a command prompt.
--- End quote ---

nuco:

--- Quote from: Geek-9pm on June 26, 2016, 01:26:33 AM ---Ccamol,
This thread is near here years old. But that doesn't matter. Even Linux distors ten years old are still good.

You may enjoy this:
A Short History of Linux Distributions

--- End quote ---

Might want to factor in the kernel version though - lots of exploits if you use an older kernel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version