Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot make a back-up disk or transfer files or pics off my hard drive!  (Read 2586 times)

hinesma61

First my tech info....
Gateway model GT4016, running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Version 2002 Service Pack 3, AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+ 2.2 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache, 2000 MHz System Bus 896 MB of RAM Physical Address Extension, nVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU With Available PCI-Express Slot, Memory 1024 MB DDR Dual Channel, Network & Modem 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN 56KITU V.92 Ready Fax/Modem, Hard Drive 200 GB (but when I go to 'My Computer' 'Local Disk (C:)' it says 'Free Space' is 142 GB 'NTFS' and 'Total Size' is 182 GB with drive 'D' 4.07 GB 'FAT32' with 2.38 GB 'free'), 9-in-1 Memory Card Reader, BTX System Design.

When I try and make a backup disk to use in case of a crash, with all my files and pics on it, this is what happens....I go to 'My Computer' on my desk top and double click, then I right click on 'Local Disk (C:). In 'Properties' I go to 'Tools' and select 'Backup Now'. The 'Backup or Restore Wizard' window opens and 'Always start in wizard mode' is checked. I click 'Next' and the 'Backup or Restore window comes up with the 'Back up files and settings' button checked and I hit 'Next'. This brings up the 'What to Back Up' window and I go down and pick 'All information on this computer' and click 'Next'. This brings up 'Backup Type, Destination, and Name' window. I put a blank DVD-R 8x in drive E and the 'CD Drive (E:) window comes up and I just close it without picking anything. My choices are, Burn CD using RealPlayer, Open writable CD folder using Windows Explorer, Create Disk or Edit Image using DVD Solution, Burn movie to CD/DVD using Power2Go, Burn an audio CD using Windows Media Player, and Take no action. Should I pic one of these, is that my problem because I just close this window without picking one??? Anyway, I choose E:\ and title it Backup0210 and click 'Next'. I get a window that is called 'Backup Utility' and says....The backup file name could not be used. "E:\Backup0210.bkf" Please ensure it is a valid path, and that you have sufficient access. So, what is the problem???

As for my files and pics, I can email files or pics or I can send my pics to a web site to have them printed out, but I cannot copy them to a disk or memory 'stick' as a way of saving them someplace else besides my hard drive!!!! Here is what happens. I go to 'My Documents' on my desk top and double click, 'My Pictures' and double click, I double click a folder of pics, I double click a pic, I right click on a pic and click on 'Send to' drive E: where I have a blank DVD-R 8x. A window called 'Problem Copying' pops up and says...Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do? I can choose 'Retry' or 'Cancel'. At the same time another window is open called 'Copying...' and it is running but making no progress. If I hit 'retry' the same things happen.

Can someone help me with these problems?

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Cannot make a back-up disk or transfer files or pics off my hard drive!
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 04:21:44 PM »
    The backup utility in Windows XP (NTBACKUP) does not write to optical media (CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs) by default.

Here are your options:

1) Back up to an external hard drive
    2) Use Firestreamer to have your DVD burner emulate a tape drive (because that's exactly what NTBACKUP supports best: tape, which I'll bet less than 0.00001% of consumers will ever use on a PC).
    3) Use another program to back up your computer.

#1 would be your best option.  Less hassle in the long run.  Besides, do you really want to restore from 12 DVDs?  DVDs only hold 4.5 GB of data, and you've got 40 GB of data filled up on your C drive.
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.