Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: any reason why I should keep W7??  (Read 9675 times)

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    any reason why I should keep W7??
    « on: February 10, 2010, 08:22:55 PM »
    Have been a tester for W7/MS and have used now the official version of W7 for several months and yet....I cant be enthusiastic anymore...have never experienced Vista, so....still "kind of clinging" to my XP.... :P

Please give me some benefits for keeping W7 from your experiences... ??? :'(
    « Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:46:00 AM by patio »

Hankster58

Beginner
      Re: any reason why I should keep W7??????????
      « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:37:02 PM »
      Um, It WORKS??? I've run Vista for almost a year on this computer and had several PITA issues with it.. upgraded to W7 a few weeks back and so far GREAT! No more BS screw ups.. runs WAY FASTER than Vista did... no beefs here to date! Some here will groan at this statement, but some of the new buttons / taskbar features are sort of Mac like..and ripoff or original idea or whatever who cares.. it's a cool feature and it works! But it's up to you.... hang on to the old.. or use the new one they seem to have "got right".....

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: any reason why I should keep W7??
      « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 07:28:32 AM »
      Have been a tester for W7/MS and have used now the official version of W7 for several months and yet....I cant be enthusiastic anymore...have never experienced Vista, so....still "kind of clinging" to my XP.... :P

Please give me some benefits for keeping W7 from your experiences... ??? :'(
      You want someone else to tell you why you should use it? You say you've been using 7 for several months. If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 07:32:52 AM »
        Like Allan said.  It's pretty black-and-white. ::)

Alan <><  :D
        I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 07:37:38 AM »
        You could always get rid of it so you can say at parties " yeah i had Win7 but i got rid of it".....

Chicks dig that.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:49:31 AM »
          Fat chicks? :-X

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

jkolak

Hopeful
            « Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »
            It's normal to be comfortable with the familiar. If you liked the look and feel of XP, that's legitimate.

I, myself, was apprehensive about leaving behind something that I had become familiar with, but I decided it was important not to get stuck in the past.

Win7 is more secure in today's malware threat environment. XP is more and more tied to hardware and drivers of the past as vendors stop developing driver updates and move on to new hardware. I suppose it won't be long before software requires a minimum of Windows 7 as well.

You didn't miss anything in Vista. Consider it as sort of a Win7 long beta release. Many report Vista quirks gone when they switched to 7.

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:02:34 PM »
              thanks, like the answers as such, especialy the one of jkolak and of course....the partycracker...lol...

havin used XP for so long, and detested Vista after 2 weeks(unistalled as quick as possible....lol...that other word I used was censored...lol), I was eager to test W7 and finally using it, but it isnt a surprise anymore. I succeeded to find all the 64bits drivers, mostly new ones and got my webcam to work in this new environment an thats it...good to hear its safer....for XP I even got a mass of security patches yesterday, so that proofs its point, but well we havent seen the first SP1 fo W7 yet...lol....maybe I stick a bit longer with W7. I succeeded to have W7 as the only MS gadget on my PC, all the rest is freeware....and its all working nicely
              « Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:27:43 PM by Peterwolfe »

jkolak

Hopeful
                « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 02:55:40 AM »
                My budget is averse to software purchases, so I'm almost entirely open source and freeware....

soybean

Genius
                • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 08:51:21 AM »
                I was eager to test W7 and finally using it, but it isnt a surprise anymore.
                Well, folks, there we have it, the perfect reason not to keep w7. 

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
                • Experience: Familiar
                « Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 08:55:16 AM »
                Vista, lol.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
                Vista, lol.

Yes... Vista is just one big joke, isn't it? I have one problem with this. Why can nobody who laughs at it tell me the punch-line? Why can they not name a single factor about it that they find laughable that isn't completely vain?

They say that UAC is the "hah hah" factor. But what's ridiculous is the fact that Windows has defaulted to having everybody run programs as an administrator. Sure, you could create limited accounts, but in order to install software you would need to log out and then log back on as an admin. (well, except with XP you could switch users). UAC makes switching users completely easy, in that an operation that requires you to switch to the administrator account brings up a prompt to do it.

Many people say the prompt itself is superflous- that windows should be able to know that you just clicked on the item that required elevation. The problem is windows doesn't actually know this; for example, any program can start up the display control panel; any program can run, say, task scheduler or services and add and remove services; and they do it the same way that windows itself starts these programs. So the suggestion is basically to add another way to start these programs that windows uses to bypass UAC. the issue is of course that MS will need to document that function, and even if they didn't malware creators would use it to do their evil, making UAC useless to begin with.

Other say the "ha-ha" is Aero. Well, then shut it off and stop complaining. Aero Basic is the Luna Engine, and I believe you can even do a little hacking and get the standard XP theme as "Aero Basic". But then again, XP's default Luna theme is probably the most ridiculous default configuration ever, so people that think Vista/7's default Aero theme is somehow more gaudy and colorful then XP's they need to have their vision checked over.

Most other complaints are directly the fault of the developers of some old program. people say that "vista changed inside so these programs don't work" which is true, but at the same time, changes to the inside of windows will have absolutely no effect on programs written using the standard API's provided. Then people say That some things aren't usable without hooking deep into windows. And of course they cannot actually name a single one. The best anybody could come up with was the MS commandbars that you see in Office, but again the issue is that that is not a component of windows but rather a component of Office. Windows has listboxes, buttons, checkboxes, listviews, treeviews, tabs, and other controls available, the controls that other programs might use, wether by MS or otherwise, are not part of the API spec. If you want commandbars, right them yourself. Microsoft is not obligated to write your code for you. *censored*, the fact that they give you controls other then some basic canvas type class is overlooked in favour of what they don't provide.

Windows Vista is Version 6.0.

Windows 7 is version 6.1.

Honestly, I can hardly tell the difference between them on my desktop and my laptop (laptop has 7, desktop has Vista). I changed some of the defaults so I don't have to go retro with that ridiculous "hey, let's only show the icons" taskbar, and now the only difference is that the buttons on the taskbar on my Laptop (7) lights up based on where my pointer is within the button. Yep, that's a huge improvement.

And of course, Calc and all those other programs have been "rewritten" which actually isn't true; sure they look completely different, but that by no means implies rewriting. Besides, even if they were, it wasn't the first time. It would just be the first time the GUI changed a noticable amount.

Neither one seems any more reliable then the other; this machine I am writing on now (the vista) has an uptime of a little over 227 hours, just over a week of consecutive run-time. I have no idea how long my laptop was on because it appears to have rebooted at some point recently.

Anyway, this thread is about 7 as opposed to XP. And it has been said- go with whatever you want. If you don't want seven, put XP on. And really, you can always put BOTH on and dual boot. That's what I did while using Vista. the laptop came with Vista and I originally reinstalled everything... it has XP-32 bit, XP 64-bit, and Vista Ultimate x64 installed. I've booted up the XP's only once or twice. I always use the Vista install- and yet I thought I would only use the XP installs.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
                • Experience: Guru
                « Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
                I think I agree with BC (sometimes it's a bit hard to be sure  ;D ). I have systems with XP, Vista and Windows 7 and am quite pleased with all of them. As I've said before, they are just operating systems for crying out loud. Their primary purpose is to serve as an interface between the user and the hardware, and in my opinion they all do that quite well. If you want to nitpick you can find problems with anything. Personally, I've never understood the Vista bashing. I believe most of it comes from users who simply don't know better.

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
                • Experience: Familiar
                « Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
                Yes... Vista is just one big joke, isn't it? I have one problem with this. Why can nobody who laughs at it tell me the punch-line? Why can they not name a single factor about it that they find laughable that isn't completely vain?

They say that UAC is the "hah hah" factor. But what's ridiculous is the fact that Windows has defaulted to having everybody run programs as an administrator. Sure, you could create limited accounts, but in order to install software you would need to log out and then log back on as an admin. (well, except with XP you could switch users). UAC makes switching users completely easy, in that an operation that requires you to switch to the administrator account brings up a prompt to do it.

Many people say the prompt itself is superflous- that windows should be able to know that you just clicked on the item that required elevation. The problem is windows doesn't actually know this; for example, any program can start up the display control panel; any program can run, say, task scheduler or services and add and remove services; and they do it the same way that windows itself starts these programs. So the suggestion is basically to add another way to start these programs that windows uses to bypass UAC. the issue is of course that MS will need to document that function, and even if they didn't malware creators would use it to do their evil, making UAC useless to begin with.

Other say the "ha-ha" is Aero. Well, then shut it off and stop complaining. Aero Basic is the Luna Engine, and I believe you can even do a little hacking and get the standard XP theme as "Aero Basic". But then again, XP's default Luna theme is probably the most ridiculous default configuration ever, so people that think Vista/7's default Aero theme is somehow more gaudy and colorful then XP's they need to have their vision checked over.

Most other complaints are directly the fault of the developers of some old program. people say that "vista changed inside so these programs don't work" which is true, but at the same time, changes to the inside of windows will have absolutely no effect on programs written using the standard API's provided. Then people say That some things aren't usable without hooking deep into windows. And of course they cannot actually name a single one. The best anybody could come up with was the MS commandbars that you see in Office, but again the issue is that that is not a component of windows but rather a component of Office. Windows has listboxes, buttons, checkboxes, listviews, treeviews, tabs, and other controls available, the controls that other programs might use, wether by MS or otherwise, are not part of the API spec. If you want commandbars, right them yourself. Microsoft is not obligated to write your code for you. *censored*, the fact that they give you controls other then some basic canvas type class is overlooked in favour of what they don't provide.

Windows Vista is Version 6.0.

Windows 7 is version 6.1.

Honestly, I can hardly tell the difference between them on my desktop and my laptop (laptop has 7, desktop has Vista). I changed some of the defaults so I don't have to go retro with that ridiculous "hey, let's only show the icons" taskbar, and now the only difference is that the buttons on the taskbar on my Laptop (7) lights up based on where my pointer is within the button. Yep, that's a huge improvement.

And of course, Calc and all those other programs have been "rewritten" which actually isn't true; sure they look completely different, but that by no means implies rewriting. Besides, even if they were, it wasn't the first time. It would just be the first time the GUI changed a noticable amount.

Neither one seems any more reliable then the other; this machine I am writing on now (the vista) has an uptime of a little over 227 hours, just over a week of consecutive run-time. I have no idea how long my laptop was on because it appears to have rebooted at some point recently.

Anyway, this thread is about 7 as opposed to XP. And it has been said- go with whatever you want. If you don't want seven, put XP on. And really, you can always put BOTH on and dual boot. That's what I did while using Vista. the laptop came with Vista and I originally reinstalled everything... it has XP-32 bit, XP 64-bit, and Vista Ultimate x64 installed. I've booted up the XP's only once or twice. I always use the Vista install- and yet I thought I would only use the XP installs.

Vista, lol.

soybean

Genius
                • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 11:28:27 AM »
                Vista, lol.
                Just practicing being a jerk, or what?  You already said "Vista, lol."  What's your point?