Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Apple Macbook compared to PC laptop?  (Read 2675 times)

Cityscape

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Apple Macbook compared to PC laptop?
« on: February 21, 2010, 02:11:56 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering about the speed of Macbooks compared to a PC laptop.

A 13-inch Macbook costing $1099:
- Core 2 Duo @ 2.26 Ghz with a 1066 MHz and 3MB cache
- 2 GB of 1066MHz DDR3 RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared memory

A 15-inch Dell Studio costing $999:
- Intel Core i5-430M 2.26GHz with a 1066 MHz and 3MB cache
- 4 GB of 1066MHz DDR3 RAM
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 with 512MB

I've heard that Macbooks are faster laptops, how can that be when this PC seems better? If this PC has better parts why do people buy Macs? I'm a bit confused.

jkolak

Hopeful
    Re: Apple Macbook compared to PC laptop?
    « Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 03:59:38 PM »
    Apple tries to stay away from MHz debates by promoting their work as more efficient and thereby faster by virtue better engineering, not raw MHz.

That being said, now that Mac has gone unix-like core, I think they are roughly equal to all the other systems out there.

Apple prides itself on first-rate manufacturing. This can be an obvious difference compared to the cut-rate prices on lower quality generic hardware. With better fit and finish on higher echelon PC brands, the price and quality difference can be less. I think a discerning home-builder can make something of adequate quality for a considerably less amount of money when not speaking of laptops.

The choice of Mac vs PC should be based more on your needs. Choosing Mac OS has long-term implications that you may not be willing to deal with. Once you choose your platform, you can shop for price vs performance with consideration of your impression of the quality of the brand.