Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer just restarts.. I dont have r/o  (Read 9244 times)

laura127

Computer just restarts.. I dont have r/o
« on: June 12, 2004, 05:30:25 AM »
any anti virus software at the moment on my home PC so i dont know if i have a virus or not (assuming i do, because this is a brand new pc, only 2 months old) and i cant think of any other reason for it restarting all of a sudden. Where should i go to download a free virus scan.. Thanks :)

PS, i did read all the other posts regarding this situation but none of them DONT have anti virus software, so this situation is kinda different :)

Raptor

Re: Computer just restarts.. I dont have r/o
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 01:37:55 PM »
No matter how old a computer is, it can still be vulnerable to viruses.

Here is a free online scan: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

You should look into buying a Virus scan. These free scans cannot offer full protection. A virus scan has to keep running in the background in order to do so.

laura127

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 02:17:39 AM »
No matter how old a computer is, it can still be vulnerable to viruses.

I was saying that I didn’t think it could be anything else besides a virus (for example, i didnt think it could have been a hardware problem etc.…!!)
Thanks, I’ll try that link.

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 07:40:19 AM »
It's possible there's a hardware issue but unlikely.  If this is for your work computer then your whole operation needs to buy, install and maintain anti-virus.  If this is for home then you need to buy, install and maintain anti-virus.  Basically.. if you have any system connected to the 'net then you NEED to
1) Buy
2) Install
3) are you with me yet? Maintain anti-virus

laura127

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 07:47:27 AM »
It's possible there's a hardware issue but unlikely.  If this is for your work computer then your whole operation needs to buy, install and maintain anti-virus.  If this is for home then you need to buy, install and maintain anti-virus.  Basically.. if you have any system connected to the 'net then you NEED to
1) Buy
2) Install
3) are you with me yet? Maintain anti-virus

Yup i get you! just broke after buying the PC so i wanted to know if there was a free virus scan online somewhere!

Joleen

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 08:16:24 AM »
Yup i get you!

Knew you would, you're a smart cookie and the message was pretty clear.

These days you can get a virus just by connecting to the internet.  You don't even need to install anything or open an email attachment anymore.  Some viruses (Sasser) will constantly troll the 'net for un-updated users and install itself.  Others will wait till you visit their webpage and install from there.  The only 'safe' thing is to unplug the power but what fun is there in that.

Enjoy the new computer and all the fun and pain that comes with it.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 01:07:50 PM »
    laura127.....As Joleen mentioned .....if you go online unprotected you will get stung......I rebuilt a machine recently and .........let it sit online while I had supper ( no firewall or Anti virus ) and yes you guessed it had two viruses and a trojan in less than 20 minutes....
    Anyway .....here is a possible temporary measure for you..... http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/Anti_virus_freeware/

I havent tried it myself but I know that lots of people use it .....

hope this helps

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

laura127

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 02:50:03 AM »
    laura127.....As Joleen mentioned .....if you go online unprotected you will get stung......I rebuilt a machine recently and .........let it sit online while I had supper ( no firewall or Anti virus ) and yes you guessed it had two viruses and a trojan in less than 20 minutes....
    Anyway .....here is a possible temporary measure for you..... http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/Anti_virus_freeware/

I havent tried it myself but I know that lots of people use it .....

hope this helps

dl65  ???

Thanks, ill try that :)

Minisith

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 12:16:03 PM »
    As Joleen has mentioned, it could be a hard drive problem.  with XP the OS restarts without telling the user what is the problem.  My computer is doing the same thing at the moment and i found this.
    Hopefully you got it resolved by now though.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000605.htm

PS  I just found this site today.  Great Site!