Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 10G Ethernet cards  (Read 4075 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    10G Ethernet cards
    « on: February 15, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »
    What minimum CPU processor speed is needed for 10Gigabit Ethernet cards?  I was looking on eBay, and spotted such cards in the ISA form, which would have to be old.  Would it be possible to use such a card with a 200mhz computer?

EEVIAC

Re: 10G Ethernet cards
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »
    Your throughput will depend on your computer's hardware configuration...

Here is a good read

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/1q04-int.pdf

Post the link for the ISA card you're talking about...   I seriously doubt that an ISA bus would support a 10GB network card..

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: Ethernet cards
      « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 09:14:12 PM »
      Hmmm...  I did a search on eBay using the term "ISA Ethernet", and this was one of the items I looked at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-PCLA8120-8-16-Bit-ISA-10BT-5-Ethernet-Adapter_W0QQitemZ220377601528QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item334f8755f8#ht_2408wt_782

What I really was looking for was a 10mbps Ethernet card, and not a 10G.  My reason for wanting this is not for getting an internet connection on the old computer.  The reason behind this is to attempt to make it possible to have multiplayer games between the two computers in the basement.  The crossover cable (not purchased) would go between the old computer and a 2.20 ghz Dell.  The games I want to play multiplayer on are at least 12 years old though, and include Quake, Quake II, Jedi Knight, and Mysteries of the Sith.  It would also be possible with the Doom series, but I'll with a null modem connection for that until I get the Ethernet card.
      « Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:50:53 PM by Ryan »

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 09:50:45 PM »
      Hmm, I have one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Linksys-LNE2000T-NIC-NIB-NR-Price-Reduced_W0QQitemZ330404733772QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ceda8234c   I should list it on ebay.  Looks I could get some money out of it.  I used it in a Pentium with a 200MHz processor. 

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 09:51:50 PM »
        That type of card is exactly what I need.  Since you said you used it with a 200mhz computer, it'll work in mine as well.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:02:38 PM »
        Let me give this some thought.  I have an ebay account and have listed a few items but it's been a long time since I last did that.  I'll have to delve into it again.  I'll post back on this tomorrow or send you a PM. 

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 11:09:21 PM »
          Let me give this some thought.  I have an ebay account and have listed a few items but it's been a long time since I last did that.  I'll have to delve into it again.  I'll post back on this tomorrow or send you a PM. 

Not right now Soybean.  I need to wait and get a refund from a seller I purchased from, as I otherwise do not have the money to purchase from you.  I suggest you wait until I send you a PM.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »
            The refund has been received.  Let me know if you put the item up.  Otherwise I'll purchase a different ISA Ethernet card.  Using an ISA Ethernet card would be more useful for having a deathmatch or cooperative game in Ultimate Doom/Doom II/Final Doom than using a null modem connection (better performance), and will open the door for deathmatches in the other shooters I have on the old computer.  However, for anything I have that's newer than Quake II, I'll have to use the library computer in that computer's place.

EDIT:  Don't bother.  I found a sealed ISA Ethernet card shown below, and will get that:
            http://cgi.ebay.com/Sealed-Intel-Pro-10-ISA-Ethernet-Card-8-or-16-Bit-ISA_W0QQitemZ370230661642QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563377920a#ht_3694wt_958

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 01:33:44 PM »
              Which IRQ should I have the network card use?  The free IRQs on the old computer are 3, 9 and 11.

Also, since the card I purchased is sealed, it should have everything needed to set up a network connection.  If I have problems with trying to use it, I'll probably let somebody at Computerhope know.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 07:05:08 PM »
                I really didn't want to bump this thread, but something new has come up.

I did some tests after installing the firewall, checking to see if the old computer could connect to the network.  In the basement it was a total failure.  However, when I connected the computer to the router in the library, the computer did connect to the network and I was able to get internet access, plus I was able to get a deathmatch going in DOOM95, much to my satisfaction.

However, as the computer is supposed to remain in the basement, I have come to the conclusion that the Ethernet LAN card isn't worth it.  This is a wired one, and I went ahead and purchased an ISA wireless card.  The card uses the IEEE 802.11b specification along the 2.4Ghz band, which is what the router in the library supports along with its main specification which is 802.11g.  As a result of this, the first ethernet card will get a removal when the time comes.  The card is new with the discs and instructions supplied. 

If all else fails after getting the wireless card, the only connection this old computer will use is null-modem.  That shouldn't happen, as I checked and one of the wireless cards I've successfully used with the Dell in the past used the IEEE 802.11b specification along the 2.4Ghz band.  I expect no issues.  And with the wireless extender in the basement, if it does connect, the signal will be strong.  I won't be adding any more cards to that old computer after this.
                « Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:00:29 PM by Ryan »