Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Supply Fan or ?  (Read 2327 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Power Supply Fan or ?
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:09:52 AM »
Hi , looking for some advice. On boot up(and it's sporadic) I'm getting what I suspect is a noisy fan. I say this because the noise appears to be from the back of the PC. I've followed CH's advice and cleaned these fans but the noise is back after just a short time. This PC has four fans and I've ruled out the fan on the Video Card (new) and I've heard this noise once or twice before the card was installed. My problem is that this noise does not last too long, so it's difficult to determine(checking inside with the cover off) exactly where that noise is coming from. Plus the fact that all of these fans are in close proximity. I'm not about to try to do anything with fan in the power supply. I've read the CH info. on power supplies. Now, what I would like to do is check out the Case Fan and the CPU Fan. Obviously I'd do this one at a time. The plug-ins for both of these fans are very accessible. Is there any problem if I disconnect these(one at a time) (reconnect)and boot up. I'm sure that I wouldn't want to run too long without these fans working (especially the CPU Fan) but I should be able to determine this quite quickly. Would this be an option? I hate to leave this until something major happens.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Power Supply Fan or ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:25:11 AM »
Best way to test this is remove a side panel...
When the noise starts use a QTip or tongue depresser to stop each fan 1 at a time...
Do not stop them for very long ...but it will tell you where the offending fan is.

NOTE: A noisy fan does not always need replaced...sometimes the mount screws are loose....
However it should be addressed either way.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:26:02 AM »

NOTE: A noisy fan does not always need replaced..
But a rowdy fan should always be ejected.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
Thanks patio. Thanks Allan.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:59:35 PM »
Come back with good news....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:11:30 PM »
Well it's like taking your car to the garage. When you want to show a mechanic the funny noise that your car is making well-- you know the rest. So, I'll just keep on trying until I get a chance to poke a stick into the wheels and see what happens. Thks

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 01:14:39 PM »
Well, patio-Allan I'm back with more questions. I had the Power Supply (shake , rattle and roll )on me, but only once. I blew some compressed air (again)into the fan in the power supply(did the best that I could) and since then all is normal. My question now is two fold.
#1) At this point would you replace the Power Supply or just wait and see if it happens again? I've never changed one but with CH's help I'm sure that I could get it done, if that's your suggestion?. Sure hate to have the power supply blow up and be without my PC.
And,#2) Will the Power Supply that's shown in the attachment plug into my present PC. I sent an email to my PC manufacturer (CISNET) and I can't purchase the same as what I currently have. As you will see in the attachments I currently have a 400W ISO but the manufacturer is suggesting that I purchase a 500W ATX. He tells me that any 500W ATX will fit?  I found what I think is a good deal on eBAY if it fits?. Shipped here, (Canada) for just over 30 bucks.
I've just installed an additional 2GB of RAM and also installed a new Video Card, so another $30 wouldn't be that bad I suppose. Your thoughts please, and thanks for all your help.

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »
I didn't see the doc. file in my last post?

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]