Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive Keeps Changing Drive Letter  (Read 3958 times)

Candora

Topic Starter

Beginner

External Hard Drive Keeps Changing Drive Letter
    « on: February 16, 2010, 11:26:13 AM »
    Lately, my HD Passport has been changing from J:/ to H:/ and stays there. I end up having to go to "Run" and go to "Regedit.exe" and renaming H:/ to J:/, and then restarting. But then I'll go out along my business, I'll hear the sound like something has been disconnected, and reconnected right after. It's like my hard drive is disconnecting by itself and changing to a letter drive I DON'T want. When I leave it alone, it'll have the sound it disconnected again and reconnect, but it doesn't change from H:/. It stays at H:/. I don't think it's a virus.

So why do you think this is so? And how can I fix it?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: External Hard Drive Keeps Changing Drive Letter
    « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:30:16 AM »
    OS?

Candora

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »
      XP

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:10:09 PM »
      You don't need to go anywhere near the registry. Just go to START - RUN and type compmgmt.msc then press enter. Then go to Disk Management. Then right-click on the drive and change the drive letter. The change is immediate - no reboot required.

Candora

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 07:03:18 AM »
        Ah you see. Even THAT was a temporary fixed. Just now I heard the disconnection sound and reconnection sound, and my external hard drive's letter was now H:/. I didn't touch it either >_>