Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The directory or file C: is corrupt or unreadable Please run chdsk utility  (Read 48213 times)

silverknight

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi
    I have a Windows 2000 computer with SP4. I get this message when I run my computer. I used CHKDSK numerous times, and nothing has worked. Every time I scan it says, nothing is wrong, and it always, says truncating file record 4200 after the chkdsk, it comes up again. Do you guys know what software I can use other Chkdsk to fix this issue? I have a Maxtor 4D040H2 hard drive on 495mb ram computer.

I have a limited budget.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: The directory or file C: is corrupt or unreadable Please run chdsk utility
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:03:26 PM »
    you have to use /f or it doesn't fix anything.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 05:34:27 AM »
    Actually I prefer chkdsk /r which will fix BOTH software AND hd errors

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:26:38 AM »
    except it takes 5 hours longer.  :P

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:35:02 AM »
    But it's a complete check and repair. And come on - depending on the size of the drive, how full it is, and the speed of the computer it doesn't need to take anywhere near that long.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:36:14 AM »
    /r just adds bad sector recovery... and if a hard drive needs that it should probably be replaced ASAP. Although without /r you won't even be aware that there are bad sectors...

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »
    Thanks BC - but I do know what the /r switch does ;). And with all due respect I disagree. Many hd's can develop a bad sector or two and still be just fine after repair & recovery. Personally, I don't see the sense of running chkdsk with any other switch - but hey, that's just me ;)

silverknight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 01:14:34 PM »
      I used both the /f and /r, still the same thing.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 01:29:11 PM »
      After competing chkdsk /r, what message was displayed on the screen?

silverknight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 01:39:35 PM »
        It says, chkdsk was completed successfully, and then when I log in to Windows, I get that corrupt and unreadable message.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »
        This drive was issue originally was posted about on August of 2008...
        Is this the same machine ? ??
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 01:44:23 PM »
        It says, chkdsk was completed successfully, and then when I log in to Windows, I get that corrupt and unreadable message.
        When chkdsk /r completes it always reports have found and repaired one or more errors. If you didn't see that message I suggest you may not have run chkdsk /r

silverknight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 01:48:46 PM »
          When Chkdsk/R I used the on available through the My computer menu, (both boxes were checked) and after the long 1 hour scan, I don't remember exactly, but it said errors were fixed.

After the scan my computer rebooted, and I got the successful message, saying it corrected a few errors.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 01:52:38 PM »
          huh?
           Go to START - RUN and type: chkdsk /r (press enter)
          You will be asked if you want to schedule the check on your next boot. Say yes and reboot.

silverknight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 01:57:56 PM »
            I believe I did the same thing, if Chkdsk/r if it scans and repairs sectors. If you insist I will do it today.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »
            When chkdsk /r completes it always reports have found and repaired one or more errors. If you didn't see that message I suggest you may not have run chkdsk /r

chkdsk does not always state that it "found and repaired one or more errors" one particular case in which it might neglect to do so is if there were no errors to report, at which point it simply states that "chkdsk has checked the drive and found no errors" or a message to that effect.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 02:02:50 PM »
            I do not insist. If you're certain you did follow that procedure that's fine. I just want to make sure it's been done. Thank you.

silverknight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »
              There were errors, for sure, I saw them, but it was hard to read since the computer reboots.  What other software can I use?

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 03:17:20 PM »
              Whoa - time warp. You're responding to a post in your thread from a year ago?

silverknight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 07:18:39 PM »
                Sure I am; let me say this, I still haven't replaced the drive.  :)
                 Interestingly, Seatools for DOS claims, the drive is fine, I did a long and short SMART test.

The drive doesn't want to quit but those error messages don't quit either.

So theres only one thing I can try, and thats reformatting and starting fresh, perhaps it'll work otherwise I'll have to give in and finally replace it.