Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My screen and broswer has suddenly went large  (Read 17773 times)

brandon45

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

My screen and broswer has suddenly went large
    « on: February 23, 2010, 11:09:15 PM »
    I was surfing the web went suddenly everything went large on my screen and browser.
    The problem exists on all three browsers, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox.
    My desktop screen has pushed to the left hiding all desktop icons and hiding the start button.
    I have checked all settings and everything is the same as before.
    I have always had my settings at 800 by 600 pixels and thats what its still at.
    If I change it to 1024 by 768, it makes everything fit in ok again, but everything is way to small, the text is to small and the icons too small.
    I can adjust the text to make it larger, but it only works on some websites, not others and it starts to be a bit fuzzy.

800 by 600 pixels is best for me, but the problem is for some reason everything has suddenly gone too large.
    Im using Windows XP and my moniter is Samsung Syncmaster 753s.
    I have run multiple checks for malware and virus and everything is clean.

It seems that everything is being stretched horizontal, both left and right across the screen, though mostly left.
    Yet it seems the vertical is fine and fitting in ok.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:33:52 PM by brandon45 »

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: My screen and broswer has suddenly went large
    « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:34:16 AM »

brandon45

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:33:49 AM »
      Thanks Allan, but as mentioned in the original post Ive already run extensive malware and virus scans which are all clear.
      However, Ill do a highjack this log and post in in the spyware forums to see if they can see anything. Im pretty sure but that this is not the problem though.
      Im usually very carefull of these sorts of things and have never had a problem with malware in 10 years.

Any other suggestions on whats causing the problems?

Thankyou.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:51:52 AM »
      The only things I can think of are:

1) Display is on the fritz
      2) Corrupt video driver (download & reinstall the latest)
      3) Some program is messing with the display
      4) Video card is on the fritz

Let's rule out the malware possibility. Then you can try a clean boot and see what happens.

brandon45

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:13:07 PM »
        I think your right Allan that its got something to do with the video card driver or the card.

First, when I go to Property, Settings...it shows Display (default monitor) on.
        Next, when I follow through to Adapter, it shows all Adapter type information as, unavailable.

I dont know much about this, what do you suggest here as far as Identifying my video card driver, etc. Any as far as updating the drivers?

brandon45

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 12:10:56 AM »
          And also its loading VgaSave.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 05:28:15 AM »
          Download and install the current driver for the card. If the problem persists, try a new card.

dr_iton

Intermediate
          • Reading jeopardizes stupidity?
            • PERSONAL WEB SITE
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 06:12:25 AM »
          I'm curious to ask: have you tried to pres the CTRL button and scroll the mouse wheel?
          Cheers.

A MARATHON BEGIN'S WITH A FIRST STEP.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 06:14:08 AM »
          I'm curious to ask: have you tried to pres the CTRL button and scroll the mouse wheel?
          Cheers.
          Which would have what to do with his half of his desktop not visible?

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 08:05:14 AM »
          If you can test your monitor on another computer or try another monitor on your computer, that would proove whether the monitor is the problem.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »
          I think the fact that device manager shows his display adapter as unavailable would indicate the problem is with the card (or driver), not the display.

brandon45

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 10:03:24 PM »
            Thanks Allan, but how do I actually identify what my card is and what driver I need to download please?

dr_iton

Intermediate
            • Reading jeopardizes stupidity?
              • PERSONAL WEB SITE
            • Certifications: List
            « Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 03:50:49 AM »
            Just follow the tree steps on the picture and you will find the name of your display card:

Cheers

A MARATHON BEGIN'S WITH A FIRST STEP.

brandon45

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 04:27:45 AM »
              Thankyou, I have now identified the driver after following the above instructions as an INTEL 82865g graphics controller.
              For some strange reason it was disabled. So I turned it on.
              Now when I go to Property, Settings it shows the  INTEL 82865g graphics controller and further checking shows it to be working.
              I did a scan with the Intel website to see if the drivers needed updating and it says that it is the current driver.

But, I still have the problem of the large screen even though I seemed to have enabled the driver.

Im going to post my Hijackthis logfile here in this post as well.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
              Scan saved at 9:32:07 PM, on 2/26/2010
              Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
              MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
              Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\UStorSrv.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
              C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
              C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG111v2\WG111v2.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
              C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
              C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
              C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.com/
              R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
              R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
              R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
              R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
              R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
              O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
              O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
              O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WG111v2 Smart Wizard.lnk = C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG111v2\WG111v2.exe
              O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
              O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
              O16 - DPF: {2EDF75C0-5ABD-49f9-BAB6-220476A32034} (System Requirements Lab) - http://intel-drv-cdn.systemrequirementslab.com/multi/bin/sysreqlab_srlx.cab
              O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1260143605234
              O16 - DPF: {CF84DAC5-A4F5-419E-A0BA-C01FFD71112F} (SysInfo Class) - http://content.systemrequirementslab.com.s3.amazonaws.com/global/bin/srldetect_intel_4.1.66.0.cab
              O16 - DPF: {FFB3A759-98B1-446F-BDA9-909C6EB18CC7} (PCPitstop Exam) - http://utilities.pcpitstop.com/da2/PCPitStop2.cab
              O23 - Service: UStorage Server Service - OTi - C:\WINDOWS\system32\UStorSrv.exe

--
              End of file - 3556 bytes

After enabling the Intel Graphics Driver, I once again tried adjusting the pixels to 1024 by 768. At first still too small, but when changing the view on IE to 125% everything fits in fine. But the text has a slight blur about it.

Im just wondering, could any of this have anything to do with an older moniter on a newer computer. I got this moniter several years ago.
              But with that said, everything seemed fine up until a few days ago.
              Should I be thinking of changing the graphics card?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:19:57 AM by brandon45 »

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 06:04:42 AM »
              1) Nobody asked for your HJT log. And this is the wrong place to post it anyway.
              2) Download and install the latest driver for your Intel video controller: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+controllers&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+82865G+Graphics+and+Memory+Controller+Hub+(GMCH)