Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will only turn on after CMOS battery is taken out and put back in  (Read 48119 times)

bauer17

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Computer will only turn on after CMOS battery is taken out and put back in
    « Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 02:13:43 PM »
    geek-9pm.

Option A.

I remove the CMOS battery for about 30 sec replace the same one back in and it boots up.  Then I do a shutdown and try to power up the machine again.  Does not work.  I then take out the CMOS battery again, for about 30 seconds, they place it back in plug the power cord back in and it boots up.

I hope this helps.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »
    It's the battery, get a new one.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »
    Does it look like this?
    \

bauer17

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 02:53:27 PM »
      geek-9pm.  Yes it does look like that.

I did go buy a new battery and put it in.  It booted up.  Then I did a shutdown, and tried to start the computer back up and it had that same problem and did not start up.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 03:28:58 PM »
      Can you please give us the name and model of this machine?
      Did this PC ever display some problem in the past? Like resetting for no reason? 
      About how many hours have you logged on this computer recently?
      Have you tried leaving it one for 24 huts end see how it behaves? (But not connected to the internet.)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 04:19:32 PM »
      1.  Can you please give us the name and model of this machine?
      2.  Did this PC ever display some problem in the past? Like resetting for no reason? 
      1.  See Reply #10
      2.  See Original Post

bauer17

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 08:52:47 AM »
        any other ideas?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 09:29:54 AM »
        1) Remove the battery.
        2) Place the jumper in the reset position.
        3) Place the jumper in the normal postion.
        4) Install the battery.

If it still doesn't work, start unplugging or removing all hardware, except the CPU, RAM.  Also, unplug the RAM module and reinstall it, thereby wiping the contacts and insuring a good connection.  It should power on with nothing more than a CPU & RAM.

Your goal is not to boot Windows, but to power on and enter the BIOS every time with the CMOS battery installed.

bauer17

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 10:46:59 AM »
          Hi everyone, not exactly sure what happened but I pulled the connecting internal headers and replaced them, now it is booting up fine.  Very strange.  Thanks for all your help!  Would you do a BIOS update or just leave it?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 11:42:50 AM »
          Hi everyone, not exactly sure what happened but I pulled the connecting internal headers and replaced them, now it is booting up fine.  Very strange.  Thanks for all your help!  Would you do a BIOS update or just leave it?
          What is "connecting internal headers"?
          As to updating the BIOS, some say don't do it unless necessary, others like to have the latest version.

EEVIAC

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »

yes, bauer17.........do tell !

Azzaboi

Apprentice
          • Aaron's Game Zone
            • Aaron's Game Zone
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 01:02:05 PM »
          Well it's not a flat battery problem, so the only other reason is removing that battery resets the CMOS and BIOS.

First of all, does your computer make any beeping sound? If so, check the motherboard book. Different beeps mean different things depending on the type of motherboard. For example: 10 short beeps means CMOS shutdown Read/Write error
          http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

It could be a power supply issue, not getting enough power to components like a power hungry graphics card, or hardware failure, or infection of a CMOS/BIOS virus.

If your computer BIOS is infected with a virus, it would be cleared out on removing the battery but reinfecting it on shutdown. Scan your computer with a quality anti-virus scanner like Kaspersky.
          Aaron's Game Zone
          The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

bauer17

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »
            As to updating the BIOS, some say don't do it unless necessary, others like to have the latest version.

the front panel connections for the power-on and reset switch, case speaker, HDD lights etc.  Thanks to everyone for all their help.

Wiley

• Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 11:58:43 AM »
              I had same problem with customer computer, replaced cmos battery with new still had same issue.
              I then unplugged computer held down power button for 10 seconds, pulled cmos jumper then replugged in computer it powered up, then once boot finished I shutdown windows unplugged computer replaced jumper. It has worked fine ever since. If you still have issue then check motherboard manufacture website for issues with that motherboard model..

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 05:24:10 PM »
              Wiley,
              You are nine months to the day with your late observation.  8)