Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Speaker Trouble  (Read 11821 times)

patsy

Speaker Trouble
« on: June 12, 2004, 07:03:11 PM »
Hello Again,

RE:
Packard Bell Legend 836 CDT
16 MB
Running Windows 95

This is the garage-sale computer that y'all helped me get up and running so my little grandson could use the Reader Rabbit learning games.

The machine is working perfectly, but the speakers have messed up.  When I first noticed the malfunction, the speakers were producing a low-volume, high-pitched constant squeal that could be heard even while the rabbit talked and sang.   Next thing I noticed was all  the sound was alternating between the two speakers.  Sometimes left speaker had sound, and at other times right speaker had sound, and at other times both speakers were working simultaneously.   At this point, the volume of the speakers is so low that we can hardly hear anything at all.   I have the volume turned all the way up.

I bought another set of speakers and put on the machine, but have the same result.....very low-volume, scratchy sound coming from the speakers...  even with volume on high.

What do y'all think is wrong  and how can I fix it?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Speaker Trouble
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 07:22:43 PM »
    Hi Patsy.....By any chance have you updated any drivers recently.........( possibly from Microsoft Update ) The incorrect audio drivers could cause this .

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

MalikTous

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 08:17:03 PM »
    These machines are known to have problems with embedded sound devices along with other hardware issues. If it persists, you may need to use a separate sound card and disable the MB embedded sound.

patsy

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 07:10:56 AM »
    No, DL, haven't done anything to the machine but what we did in beginning to get it running.  It's not even hooked up to internet.

MalikTous,  How do I  hook up a new  sound card?  Can you plug it into the maching without opening it up?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 07:19:49 AM »
    You'll have to open the case in order to install the soundcard.

Usually, new soundcards come with instructions, if you got a second-hand soundcard lying around or are planning on getting on, you can always contact tech-support if any documentaries are missing.

Also, if you're going to install a new component, be sure to unplug the PC from the power net and that your hands are demagnetized.