Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Turning off McAfee trial version firewall and turning on Windows 7 firewall  (Read 38795 times)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
What Reimage?
What did you download?

Any time, patio :)

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

It appears I downloaded another program because I wasn't paying attention to the deceptively layed out download links. 

So now I'll try to install the Comodo firewall & AV.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Torrents ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Bueller?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    Did you run McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool?

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Yes, I successfully ran the McAfee tool.

Regarding downloads, first I mistakenly downloaded the Spware Doctor.  If you click on the link you provided in your response, you first see a large headline: McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool 3.0.128.8.  Just below it, to the right you see a blue Download icon.  WRONG!! It's the SpyDoctor program.

Below the headline to the left you see the McAfee cleanup icon which you find out is only a screenshot link.  Just above this icon is another download icon with an arrow speciously pointing downward to a link that says: "add to download basket", making me think I'm gonna have to buy something. And guess what? When you click on "add to download basket" you get the good ol' Software Doctor telling you to bend over so he can  examine your wallet. You actually have to click on the Download icon itself.

So when you click on the Downlaod icon, you get the next page at the top of which is the headline: "McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool 3.0.128.8: Free Download" (Don't worry, the Doctor is just below it in case you're feeling a little queasy and want another examination).

Just below this headline you see: DOWNLOAD LOCATIONS
                                                        for McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool 3.0.128.8:

If you put your cursor on the words "McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool 3.0.128.8" you get a link to....THE PREVIOUS PAGE!  Makes sense to me - if you're MC Escher, perhaps.

So you slide your cursor down a little further to either "Softpedia Mirror" or "External Mirror" (whatever a mirror is, hey, I'm a relative newbie). Only then do I get to download a program which potentially will work.  Who does the byzantine layouts for these pages?  I feel like there's a grenade waiting to explode at every click of the mouse.  Very unsettling.

Notice I said "potentially will work" above:  I went to execute the Comodo Internet Security Installer (yes, I turned off the internal Windows 7 firewall) and I got the following error message:

Error 109: Not able to extract InCompatSw.ini

What now?

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      Regarding downloads, first I mistakenly downloaded the Spware Doctor.  If you click on the link you provided in your response, you first see a large headline: McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool 3.0.128.8.  Just below it, to the right you see a blue Download icon.  WRONG!! It's the SpyDoctor program.
      Internet may be a dangerous place. You have to check 3 times, before you click on anything.

Error 109: Not able to extract InCompatSw.ini
      Again, same issue. Watch what you click on. The above error indicates, you downloaded wrong Comodo version. 32-bit, instead of 64-bit, or vice versa: http://forums.comodo.com/report-comodo-forum-web-site-issues/error-109not-able-to-extract-incompactswini-t47488.0.html;msg341768#msg341768

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

What does it mean "32 bit" as compared to "64 bit" and how do I determine which one I need?

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        Click Start and in "Start search" type in:
        winver
        Press Enter.

Pop-up window will open.
        If it DOES NOT say 64-bit, you have 32-bit Windows version.

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Ok.  I have 32-bit.  I downloaded 32-bit version.  I have Internet Explorer. Still get the same error message.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          Forget Comodo then and go for Avira, or Avast, plus Windows firewall.

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

It turns out I have a 64-bit system.  While there is no mention of it in the pop-up you mentioned

Click Start and in "Start search" type in:
            winver
            Press Enter.

Pop-up window will open.
            If it DOES NOT say 64-bit, you have 32-bit Windows version.

When I went into Control Panel and then System it shows I have a 64-bit OS.  I was able to download Comodo and I'm up and running.

Thanks Very Much

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            Cool :)